Wildlife

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
yesterday Morning was standing by the Kitchen door which i had open so Maggie could go potty in her fenced yard she was barking her head off looked up and saw not one but 2 Cougars running across our front yard, did have phone on me and my first thought was GET MAGGIE... they never slowed down or paid attention to her...maaaan my knees where shaking...there s sightings of a cougars once i a while but not 2 together :freakout:

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Cougars are so dangerous! We had one kill some of our goats. The Wildlife rep in our area told us to clear the brush around our barn so the cougar would not have any place to hide and stalk. They said it must have been a very young cougar or a sick older one to hunt in broad daylight. They like dusk and dawn, rather than in the middle of the day. It was awful. I won't describe what the dear goat looked like when the cougar was through.

Reactions: grandmatoall

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
They are beautiful animals and are rarely seen. I can't imagine two at once. Cougars are usually solitary animals. It is rare to see them together unless they are mom and kids or a breeding pair.
How scary for you. I am thankful they didn't seem to notice little Maggie or you. Take care my friend.

LynnR

Lynn, Benji, Calleigh, Maggie
Oct 13, 2009
Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
Yes, I'm so glad all worked out well! When I had a Snow owl in my back yard one winter, I couldn't let my babies outside and if I did I had to go out with them. The owl was a big one and was in my Blue Spruce tree almost all winter. It was bigger than my dogs. It was scary - so a lot of the time they used Pee, Pee Pads.

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
They knew Maggie was there because she was barking her Head off...
They looked pretty healthy and obvious not hungry...maybe about 6 mo. ago a neighbor sen one a few acres down. I am a little scared to take Maggie for a walk

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Have you talked to your rangers to find out if they have moved on? To make sure it is once more safe to walk your dog? Is there someone you guys can walk with?

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Unfortunately, our little dogs do attract predators! Here in Florida, people living by alligator infested areas need to be so careful because they come rushing out of the bush and grab the dogs before you can even react! I will not walk my dogs anywhere there might be alligators and I also keep them on short leashes due to the predatory birds that can snatch them up and yank the leash right out of your hand!