We're on our way to California

Discussion in 'Partner Talk' started by pawbaby, Jan 7, 2018.

1. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    I hope everyone is okay. Miss you all!

It was so busy before we left with getting our stove top fan replaced and packing I didn't have time to start a thread on here until now. We left yesterday morning on January 6th and spent the night in Great Falls Montana. The roads were great yesterday and we didn't have any problems. The girls were really good in the car as well. Today we drove from Great Falls Montana to Midvale which is just south of Salt Lake City. We ran into allot of fog the last part of our trip today. The GPS gave us wrong directions and we kind of got lost for a bit but later figured out where we were going to get to the hotel. We arrived today just after 6:00 pm. It was pretty disorientating with such thick fog and we couldn't read any of the signs.

I'll let you know when we arrive in Indio and I get a chance to email you after getting organized and unpacking. We are hoping to leave by 6:00 am tomorrow and arrive between 3 and 4 pm with the time change. The weather here is about +6C here tonight so quite mild. Last year when we arrived here it was -19C so what a difference! I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

grandmatoall and LynnR like this.
  2. LynnR

LynnR Lynn, Calleigh, Maggie &Molly, Patti

Poo:
    Poo:
    I hope all goes well with your trip Cory and that you arrive safe and sound. Our weather here is going through a thaw right now. Up until now it has been really cold. :hugs: to you and all my best, I know how much you look forward to this.:flower::blowkiss:

3. grandmatoall

grandmatoall Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy. RIP Leo, TJ and Lilly

Poo:
    Poo:
    Wonderful. You made it through Idaho without hitting bad weather. Yippee. I am glad the girls are traveling well. I hope the rest of the trip goes just as well for you. Hugs.

4. Candy

Candy Owner/Admin Staff Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    You did right by stopping after so much fog.We have a lot of fog too here. Travel safe !

grandmatoall likes this.
  5. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    We arrived at about dinner time last night and the roads were great. However, Mica and Shayla started to have breathing episodes that lasted onward into the night. I gave them on standby medications that I have for these episodes. I was so exhausted last night and couldn't sleep a wink worrying about the two of them. Shayla was coughing and honking and Mica was doing the same only worse with respiratory distress. They both settled somewhat today and I increased Mica's aminophylline ( the bronchodilator) up to three times yesterday. This morning I increased her dosage to .2cc's instead of .15cc's. I've given Mica and Shayla their narcotic cough syrup and Prednisone with anti-histamine. Today, I gave Mica the cough syrup twice, her aminophylline and have a call placed for Dr. Stretch our vet to discuss their medication dosages and what he might suggest. Sometimes he says to keep them on the meds for at least three days. Shayla settled down better than Mica and stopped the awful coughing fits. I haven't had to give her any medication yet today but wonder what he will suggest about the Prednisone? Mica is still coughing and doesn't sound good. I just gave her a second dosage of Aminophylline.

Oh..Mica also had runny diarrhea this morning. She ate well on the trip but feel this could be stress related. I gave her Entromycin in the morning and just now again at 4:00 pm.

Maggie was stressed too and wouldn't eat dinner last night and hasn't eaten yet today. She was starting to drink too much water which she seems to do when she gets a gastroenteritis. Our vet said some do that because they think it will soothe their tummies. Maggie vomited twice so I've withheld her water and am just allowing her sips this evening. I boiled a chicken breast for her to see if she might eat a bit of that before she goes to bed. I also gave her a dosage of Entromycin and a 1/4 Cerenia pill of Shayla's that helps nausea. She took a bit more water and a few pieces of chicken breast. I sure hope she keeps it down and perks up. She doesn't look really lethargic or I'd take her to an ER vet.

Please say a prayer for my girls that they will feel better soon. I'm so worried about them. I was in tears last night not knowing what to do with them. It was so stressful with both of them having breathing difficulties at the same time. I think because I was so exhausted I just couldn't handle it last night.

Thanks so much everyone! :hugs:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    grandmatoall and LynnR like this.
  6. KippersMa

KippersMa Well-Known Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Oh Cory! I AM praying for you and the girls. What a way to start an otherwise lovely time in the sun. I would be a basket case, for sure. I am glad you have medical knowledge so that the vet can trust you with decisions regarding dosages, etc., rather than always having to bring the dogs in and have that hassle. It just causes more stress for the puppies. I wasn't aware that so many of your girls were having breathing issues. Do they know what has caused this? Could it be allergies? I do have Mozart and Lily who frequently have trachea problems, but it goes away after a brief time, so I haven't had to worry about it much. I hope and pray that everything settles down quickly for you there and that you can all enjoy the lovely walks and adventures you will soon be having. Rest up and try not to worry too much!!

pawbaby and grandmatoall like this.
  7. LynnR

LynnR Lynn, Calleigh, Maggie &Molly, Patti

Poo:
    Poo:
    :prayer: and lots and lots of :hugs: coming your way. The trip was probably stressful for all three, Cory. Sending :blowkiss:to you.

8. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    You poor girl. Prayers coming for all your lovely girls. As Susan says, it is good that you have a medical background so you can adjust their meds as they need, until you can get in touch with your vet. Please keep us posted on how they are all doing. Hugs and prayers coming your way.

It sounds like they did good on the trip for you and that is a good thing. How do you like your new home? You need to be sure you get some rest so you do not become ill. Love you.

pawbaby likes this.
  9. Candy

Poo:
    Poo:
    I am sorry you having so much problems with the Girls, pray they will feel better soon.Sounds to me its all stress related from traveling. You know they like the same routine every day...:prayer::hugs:

grandmatoall and pawbaby like this.
  10. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    Thanks so much everyone for your replies and support about the girls. I was able to speak to Dr. Stretch twice yesterday to give him a report and the girl's conditions and he was so helpful to me. He told me to keep Mica and Shayla on Vanectyl-P (anti-histamine with Prednisone) 1/2 pill twice a day for three days and then reduce it to a 1/4 pill for a couple more days and monitor their respiratory status. He also told me to give Mica the Entromycin for the loose stools and to Shayla as well as a protectant for their tummies from the Prednisone. He thinks with Mica the Prednisone was causing the side effects for the loose stool. Since starting the Entro she's been okay with no further diarrhea. Finally this morning Mica's breathing has improved so the medications are helping. He also told me to give her Aminophylline the bronchodilator .15 to .25mls up to three times a day as needed so I did that yesterday with Mica. He said if Shayla doesn't improve then she can go on the Aminophylline too. So far she's improved quicker than Mica so for now I'm not going to put her on it. Yesterday I had to give Mica the Hycodan "narcotic" cough syrup four times. So far today I haven't had to give it to her. I gave Shayla the cough syrup at bedtime and they both slept better, thank goodness for that!

Maggie ate some boiled chicken last night and I will continue to give her the Entromycin. She ate her breakfast this morning so I think she's on the mend.

The healthiest and hardiest of the four seems to be Lindi Lou. She has been well throughout the trip and never looses her appetite.

We had rain the first couple of days but the sun is out today. Emilio and I both love this house and the owners are so, so nice. They used to own Yorkies and are dog lovers which is awesome! Michael and Linda the owners live in England but used to live in Edmonton near us and their daughter was born in Edmonton so they know how cold the weather can get. Yesterday our weather at home took a turn for the worse again. They were expecting up to 20cm's of snow and the temps dropped down over night to -30C again. So we left at the right time or would have experienced bad weather conditions on the road. I'll have to take some pictures of the house when we get better organized.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Love, Cory xxoo

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    grandmatoall likes this.
  11. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    Good news is always a treat. Thank heavens they are all getting better. I love Lindi Lou. She is a trooper. It is a good thing she is healthy.

Puppy kisses and tummy rubs to Mica, Maggie, precious Shayla and of course to Lindi Lou. Hugs for you and Emilio.

I look forward to pictures.

pawbaby likes this.
  12. KippersMa

KippersMa Well-Known Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    What a relief to hear the girls are responding to treatment. Dear Lindi Lou. I am glad she hasn't had any trouble. It is amazing that you just missed that horrible weather in Edmonton when you left when you did. Good planning!! Isn't it fun to see/realize what a small world we live in when we meet people so far away, but with connections so close to home?! I am happy for you. We will look forward to all the news and adventures your little family is soon to experience. We love you!

13. Candy

Poo:
    Poo:
    Glad the Girls are slowly improving Cory !
    We would love to see some pics where you are staying :agree:

14. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    I'm glad we're not home right now. The weather went into the deep freeze again worse than -30C and we heard there were 75 accidents on the road in Edmonton the other morning due to very slippery road conditions.

grandmatoall likes this.
  15. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    Scary about all the wrecks at home. I am glad you are safe and sound in California. You both deserve some sun and warmer weather. You picked the right time to travel.

pawbaby likes this.
  16. Candy

Poo:
    Poo:
    I bet you are glad your'e in Sunny California huh ?