Tomorrow afternoon

Discussion in 'Partner Talk' started by LynnR, Feb 2, 2018.

1. LynnR

LynnR Lynn, Calleigh, Maggie &Molly, Patti

Poo:
    Poo:
    Well, I've been learning how to play the Oboe for a couple of months now. Last Friday my dogs Veterinarian Ruth (who is also the main Bassoon player in our Symphony here) came to my house to help me with the technique on the double reed. I was given an Oboe at Christmas time and have always wanted to learn to play one. She was here about an hour and I was working on trying to get a sound which up until then I haven't been able to do because I wasn't sure of the mouth position for the embouchure. After her excellent instruction, I got it and she told me I was a natural because I got a really good strong sound on the reed, the mouth position made the difference - so this past week I started to work even harder after her visit. I got a call from Ruth last night and she told me that she had arranged for me to meet the principal oboist Saturday afternoon after the rehearsal for the Symphony performance at 3:00. Her name is Aura Pon and here is her bio: http://www.aurapon.ca/bio.html

I am really excited about this, because Ruth said that Aura was busy this week but when she is in town again in April she will give me a lesson and help me. Aura is very young and has a new born baby, so this week didn't work.

The Oboe is apparently one of the most difficult instruments to play - which only makes me more determined to learn it.

grandmatoall, pawbaby and KippersMa like this.
  2. KippersMa

KippersMa Well-Known Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    I am so excited for you, Lynn! The oboe is a very beautiful sounding instrument to play, as well! How wonderful to get a master oboist to teach you other techniques which will prove to further your expertise on this wonderful instrument. Perhaps you will expand your music studio to include teaching beginning oboe at some point. Some of the more difficult instruments or large instruments are not quickly chosen by young people and therefore, teachers are hard to find. You would be a perfect teacher, since you are already gifted in teaching music.

grandmatoall, pawbaby and LynnR like this.
  3. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    You never know, Susan. They don't teach it in our High school here because it's an expensive instrument to buy and they didn't have much success with it. Aura Pon lives in Calgary, Alberta and the 2nd Oboist lives in Edmonton Alberta they come to Cranbrook when our Symphony of the Kootenays has a Symphony performance. There is no one in Cranbrook who plays the Oboe that's why I can't get a teacher, but if I get help when Aura comes to town, that will be a good start and as I know several different instruments already - it may be enough. I can never thank Ruth enough for thinking of me. She is also a wonderful Veterinarian. When she came to the house last week the dogs were all over her. They just loved her.

4. Candy

Candy Owner/Admin Staff Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Thats wonderful Lynn and i am exited for you, i am sure you will do great !

grandmatoall, pawbaby and LynnR like this.
  5. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    I can sure feel the excitement in your post Lynn. How nice of Dr. Ruth to help you out like this. I'm sure you'll be great at playing this instrument since you already have a natural talent and know so much about music and how to play other instruments and sing. I sure hope this goes well for you and that you enjoy it!

grandmatoall and LynnR like this.
  6. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    Yes, it's going to be a busy day and a fun one too. The Symphony performance is also tonight, so I will be going there for he 7:30 performance also. I'll let you know tomorrow how everything goes.

7. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    Yesterday was great! Ruth introduced me to Aura Pon who is the principal Oboist with the Symphony of the Kootenays. I went early so I could hear some of the pieces. Eunice and I had tickets for the performance also which we went to last night - it was a jazz concert with lots of songs from movies and quite a few oldies but goodies. I got a lot of pointers on the Oboe from Aura and practiced quite a bit when I got home that afternoon. I try to practice every morning when I have the time. I am actually doing well because I can play a song already. Anyway, it's just for fun and for myself as I love music so it was worth it. I had to laugh at what Aura said. She said: "It takes years to learn the Oboe and get a really good sound" - so, I pictured myself in a wheelchair playing the oboe. Aura is probably only early or mid-30's.

grandmatoall, KippersMa and pawbaby like this.
  8. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    I'm so happy to hear your enjoyed yourself Lynn! It sounds like you've got a natural talent and should be so proud you've already learned a complete song with this Oboe! Congrats!!

grandmatoall and LynnR like this.
  9. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    I won't be surprised when I hear that you have already mastered the oboe. You are gifted. You also make me laugh at the picture of an old lady sitting in a wheel chair playing master oboe!

pawbaby, grandmatoall and LynnR like this.
  10. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    The Oboist from the Symphony has agreed to give me Oboe lessons when they are here for the Symphony concerts. The next concert is in April. I will be working on my own until then, but I feel like I'm doing well. There are no Oboe teachers anywhere near Cranbrook, so for me this is good news.

pawbaby and grandmatoall like this.
  11. grandmatoall

grandmatoall Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy. RIP Leo, TJ and Lilly

Poo:
    Poo:
    I know you will do well. You always do. Have fun learning your new Oboe.

12. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    How exciting for you, Lynn! I know you are going to be great on the oboe and I love that you are learning something new that goes along with your amazing musical talent! Now Cranbrook can boast that they have an oboist.

grandmatoall likes this.
  13. Candy

Poo:
    Poo:
    I am sure you will do well Lynn

grandmatoall likes this.
  14. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    That's really great that you're going to get lessons from this Oboist from the Symphony in April. Something exciting for you to look forward to. I'm sure you'll do well in the meantime with self practice until then. I'm very happy for you Lynn.

grandmatoall and KippersMa like this.
  15. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    My Goal on the Oboe:

grandmatoall and KippersMa like this.
  16. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    I could listen to that forever!! How absolutely beautiful!!! And it is one of my favorite songs, too.

17. grandmatoall

grandmatoall Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy. RIP Leo, TJ and Lilly

Poo:
    Poo:
    That is gorgeous. I am not sure I have ever heard one by itself before. Wow! It looks like it would strengthen your lung capacity! He really has to pucker up to play it. It is captivating and soothing. Lovely music.

KippersMa likes this.
  18. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    Yes, the embouchure is quite different than the Flute, which I already play. I can play this piece on a flute and my goal is to play it on the Oboe. I am doing well with the mouth position and - it is very good for your lungs, which is one of the reasons why I started to learn the flute in the first place. I am not finding it as hard as everyone said it would be - so I guess I'll do ok.

grandmatoall likes this.
  19. Candy

Poo:
    Poo:
    That was beautiful Lynn !

grandmatoall likes this.