Snuffle Carpet

Rocksu

Partners Plus
Jan 22, 2016
Today I would like to show you Pimpfi's dearest toy.
Do you know snuffle carpets? I don't know if this is the right translation, perhaps Candy or Sonja can help me...
Every day I hide some treats bevor we go to work. They have to wait while I am hiding the treats for all. When I'm finished, they are allowed to start snuffling. That seems to be a very nice activity for all of them.

Attachments

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Today I would like to show you Pimpfi's dearest toy.
Do you know snuffle carpets? I don't know if this is the right translation, perhaps Candy or Sonja can help me...
Every day I hide some treats bevor we go to work. They have to wait while I am hiding the treats for all. When I'm finished, they are allowed to start snuffling. That seems to be a very nice activity for all of them.

I haven't heard of these before. What are they? It looks like your babies have a great time digging for the treats. How do you make them? These look great.

Hugs,
Bobbi

Rocksu

Partners Plus
Jan 22, 2016
They really have a great time digging for the treats!
I bought them online. But you can also make them yourself. I was to lazy for that.
You need a sink mat and a fleece blanket or a terry towel. First you cut the
blanket or the towel into stripes. Than you knot the stripes through the
mat (you can create your own design). If the carpets are dirty, you can wash them. I can try to photograph the details, if you are interested.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I would love instructions or pictures. I think my babies might like them. Plus, my daughter has a new puppy who might love one too.

pawbaby

Aug 29, 2008
What a great idea Claudia. I had never heard of these either. :RunninDogSmiley:

It looks like your babies are enjoying searching for their treats. How long does it normally take them to find them? :train:

Rocksu

Partners Plus
Jan 22, 2016
The first two pictures show the bottom side of the carpet. Please look at the orange knot. (BTW... the carpet needs to be washed)... The third picture shows how it looks after leading the fleece stripe through the sink mat. The forth picture shows the first knot and the fifth picture the second knot. Between the knots you can hide the treats. Because our carpets are round, the knots have different distances. I do not know how the border is made. But tomorrow I will find it out and post it.

Attachments

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Claudia i have no idea how to translate or heard of this before, Sonja Girl have you ? I use to be pretty crafty but since my bad eye sight i had to give up most...i would have to buy it like you haha..but what a great idea :high5:

pawbaby

Aug 29, 2008
The first two pictures show the bottom side of the carpet. Please look at the orange knot. (BTW... the carpet needs to be washed)... The third picture shows how it looks after leading the fleece stripe through the sink mat. The forth picture shows the first knot and the fifth picture the second knot. Between the knots you can hide the treats. Because our carpets are round, the knots have different distances. I do not know how the border is made. But tomorrow I will find it out and post it.
Wow, thanks so much Claudia for taking all of these close ups of this Snuffle Carpet. It looks kind of complicated to make so would think that buying it would be much easier too. I'm going to google the name to see what comes up.

pawbaby

Aug 29, 2008
Take a look at this video about the Snuffle Mat. It's really cute!

[video=youtube;BDLJpOaEFvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLJpOaEFvA[/video]

Published on Nov 23, 2014
Louie really loves his new toy!
Not only with food hidden inside but also to run outside with it , like he always does!
More info about the Snuffelmat :
The snuffelmat was invented in the Netherlands by enthusiastic dog owners who like to put their four-legged friend some thinking to do (brainwork). With the snuffelmat the dog sniffs to find the dry food/treats, which are hidden between the fleece strips.

More info and how to order at :
www.snuffelmat.nl
www.facebook.com/snuffelmat
How to make your own Snuffelmat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...

pawbaby

Aug 29, 2008
[video=youtube;IcyE03yxfZw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IcyE03yxfZw[/video]

pawbaby

Aug 29, 2008
Wow, that was very interesting! Are you going to make one Cory?

No, I just found the site Lynn and video since Bobbi was asking how to make them. I wondered if she would want to know how to make one. I had never heard of these before Claudia started this post. It looks like you can actually buy a kit to make them with that mat. For my girls this one looks kind of big though. I wonder if they have miniature ones like this one?

pawbaby

Aug 29, 2008
​Looks fairly easy to make, but where in the heck can you find the matt ?
Take a look at this site Candy. You can buy these ones here and they look more like Claudia's. I see they have two sizes from $25.00 to $45.00. This site seems to be from Toronto, Ontario Canada so I think this is in Canadian dollars. Candy, this would cost you much less in US dollars.

http://www.allaboutdogs.ca/product/fleece-snuffle-mats

pawbaby

Aug 29, 2008
Here is another video. I imagine if you can buy the mat and the fleece it would be much cheaper to make. I'm not sure where to buy this kind of mat though?

[video=youtube;gaZeXOvnXik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaZeXOvnXik[/video]

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
How about using a sink mat? I think I would like to use a smaller mat for my babies. I will have to look for a good base to work from.

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
would love to get some for all our Family pups for xmas 5 little ones and 1 large. They always love getting toys from their G-ma