Shayla had another incident last night...

Discussion in 'Sick,Injured,Emergency' started by pawbaby, Jan 16, 2018.

1. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    Around dinner time Shayla started to get really anxious again and her breathing was really labored, and she sounded really wheezy with indrawing with her respirations. I ended up giving her all of her medications again. She had been really good since stopping the Vanectyl-P ( with prednisone). I gave her 1/2 of a Prednisone again and .5 ml of Hycodan the narcotic cough syrup to try to settle her but she didn't settle. So then I decided to give her .15ml of Aminophylline the bronchodilator. The last time I spoke with Dr. Stretch he mentioned that Shayla may need to go on this too. Well, she was just horrible all last night for hours and hours. She was pacing and pacing and panting. I was beside myself what to do for her. I think maybe she really reacted to the Aminophylline or the dosage was too high for her. Dr. Stretch said they can act like they are on caffeine at times with this drug, which she was doing. She was chewing and chewing a bully stick like she was starving and then would start pacing again, drinking water and panting and would not even sit down. It was horrible to watch!

Now this morning she's settled down but I have no clue what to do with her medications. Should I put her on another three day high dosage of Prednisone twice a day and then followed by 1/4 twice a day or just leave her be. Anyway, I have another call in for Dr. Stretch to call me today.

I have also made an appointment to see Dr. Hall that chiropractor that I saw several years ago, a few times. I'm so sick of this pinched nerve feeling in my hip, I can't stand it any more.

Oh, on top of this, when I let the girls outside first thing this morning. Shayla disappeared and I looked by the side of the house and see that the gate is wide open! I called for her and couldn't see her anywhere. Ran to get Emilio because I was still in my PJ's. I had called her though and ran to the front and side of the house but couldn't see her. I thought maybe I missed her and she was still in the back yard. Just in case I closed the gate when I went to look. Then Emilio saw her on the outside of the gate and let her in. I don't know who opened the gate during the night and left it open like that? We're going to get a padlock to put on that gate like that's on the other side.

Anyway, thanks so much for listening. Please say a prayer that Shayla will remain okay and that her breathing will return to normal. Thank you so much!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    grandmatoall likes this.
  2. KippersMa

KippersMa Well-Known Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Oh Cory! What an awful 24 hours you have had. I am praying that Shayla will recover well and that you can get the right dosage and right treatment to help her right away! I am also praying that the chiropractor there can relieve your discomfort. How scary to have someone come and open the gate in the middle of the night! They couldn't have been up to any good, that is for sure. Good idea to get a padlock. I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Be assured, I will not stop praying for you.

3. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    Thank you so much Susan! I was honestly beside myself last night when the medications weren't working like they normally do with Shayla. I also have no clue what set her off. At first I thought she had a hair stuck in her throat from eating her dinner because she kept gagging but then it set off the respiratory problems because she got anxious about that. It's like a vicious circle like when someone gets an asthmatic attack with the anxiety and then the airway closing off.

grandmatoall likes this.
  4. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    I can't even imagine having to go through that with any of mine. If you are beside yourself, being a nurse, it tells me that this is really serious. I am glad that you have Dr. Stretch to consult with, as he knows you all so well and can tell that you are not exaggerating. It will be a welcome event when both you and Shayla are recovered and can enjoy the peace, warmth, and beauty of Indio.

pawbaby and grandmatoall like this.
  5. grandmatoall

grandmatoall Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy. RIP Leo, TJ and Lilly

Poo:
    Poo:
    Cory, I feel so bad for you. I am glad you are going to the Dr to get your hip worked on. You poor girl. I pray for you and your girls.

Poor Shayla. It must be as scary for her as it is for you. She is lucky to have such a good mommy. You have more knowledge than I do. It helps when you know what to do.

pawbaby likes this.
  6. LynnR

LynnR Lynn, Calleigh, Maggie &Molly, Patti

Poo:
    Poo:
    I hope both you and Shayla are feeling better Cory! My Patti is still on the medication for Collapsing Trachea, but I've only been giving it to her once a day and she hasn't been coughing or having episodes at all.

7. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    Thank you so much Bobbi! Dr. Stretch called me back last evening and told me to try keeping Shayla on a 1/4 Prednisone for about 4 more days. If she needs the Aminophylline he said to try to give her .05mls, versus the .15ml I gave to her. He said it sounds likes she's super sensitive to the Aminophylline. So I have her a 1/4 Vanectyl P the pill with Prednisone last night. She's been asymptomatic yesterday and today so far, so that's good. If she has another bad episode after going off of the medication, I'm to start it off again by giving her the 1/2 pill, in addition to the Hycodan cough syrup. She may or may not need Aminophylline for maintenance but a super low dosage like I mentioned.

I saw Dr. Hall and he adjusted me spine. If the pain isn't gone, I'm to see him again on Thursday morning. So far the pain isn't as severe but it's not gone completely. He was so nice and gave me some stretches to do. Said my back and hips were all in spasm.

grandmatoall likes this.
  8. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    I'm happy for you Lynn that Patti has been so stable. Trust me, when they get bad it's very stressful to deal with when they are in distress and can't breathe properly. I hope you never have to go through this with Patti.

grandmatoall likes this.
  9. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    Thanks, Cory I am glad this is working for Patti. I feel so bad for both you and Shayla, poor little sweetie. I also hope that Mica is ok too.

10. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    Cory, I am glad to hear that you have had some relief from the extreme discomfort you have been in with your hips and spine. I hope that it will improve even more! I have some trouble with leg spasms at night while I am sleeping unless I take magnesium (and I often forget!), so I can, in a very small way, feel for you if you are having spasms. They HURT!!!! One time, my husband got one in his upper thigh and he was screaming like a baby! I felt sorry for him, because I KNOW what those feel like. Ah, old age. It has a way of creeping up on us, doesn't it? All those naughty things we did because we felt we were strong enough or perhaps our jobs required it, have a way of catching up to us.

11. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    Cory how is Shayla doing? I also hope you are in less pain too. :prayer: :blowkiss::hugs:

pawbaby likes this.
  12. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    How are your feeling Cory? Are the girls doing?

pawbaby likes this.
  13. Candy

Candy Owner/Admin Staff Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    I am so sorry you going through all this Cory, i hope you and Shayla feeling better today ! I bet you where scared, it can be so nerve wrecking as you feel helpless at times. Hope it will be better today ! xoxo

grandmatoall and pawbaby like this.
  14. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    Thanks so much everyone for all of your kind and caring words. Shayla has settled down for the most part but was on her second, "repeat" day of 1/4 Vanectyl-P the pill with antihistamine and Prednisone. I gave it to her last night at dinner again and she started to act kind of hyper about an hour later, panting and pacing. Dr. Stretch did say that this drug alone can affect many of them and make them quite anxious and hyper. Anyway, she did settle down after about an hour. I hope this doesn't happen again tonight when I give this medication. I also hope she only has to be on it for 4 days. I was thinking that maybe I should wean her off it even more slowly like every second, then third day then off completely.

Mica has been pretty much back to normal on her regular dosage of Aminophylline. I hope that they both stay that way.

I had my chiropractor appointment which helped somewhat but still have some pain. He gave me some exercises to do which I've been doing three times a day to take the spasm away. I cancelled the appointment for this morning yesterday and told them that if I need to will go back next week. I felt I should let things settle because I was very sore after the adjustments yesterday morning.

Emilio has invited so many of his relatives to come visit us this year which is fine but I hope all of this doesn't get Shayla and Mica upset and affect their breathing again. At one point we will have six visitors and back to back visitors from February 10th to practically the end of March.

15. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    That is a lot of visitors. It would wear me out for sure.

Are the exercises working for you? I sure hope they are. I am glad Mica is doing better and I hope Shayla also improves with the new medication changes. You are right about company upsetting the babies and disrupting their schedules. That happens to mine. I hope things settle down for you guys as everyone gets used to your new home and schedules.

Feel better my friend. Hugs.

pawbaby likes this.
  16. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    I hope you all feel better before the onslaught of visitors hits. While having visitors is a delight, especially if you haven't seen them for awhile, it can be hard on our little folk. I don't know about your visitors, but we have some that definitely are NOT dog people and then we must kennel all the dogs out of consideration for our guests. Those are the ones I hope don't stay long. In any case, my husband will only allow our little guys to be in their kennels just so long and then he brings them out, no matter what! I love him for that, but it sometimes is embarrassing to watch the reactions of our guests (and we really don't get many). Our younger son and his family are the worst. The wife hates the dogs and insists on them being in their kennels because their barking bothers their little boy's ears (he is spoiled rotten). The dogs wouldn't stay barking if they would just come in and not make a big deal about it. Oh well. We love our family members no matter what. If accidents happen, it is usually after we have had company. I am glad we have linoleum floors!

17. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    I agree entirely. We have carpets in the bedrooms, office, craft room and I am glad that is all. Wood floors and linoleum are far easier to clean messes from. And not all visitors handle animals well at all. We are very lucky that most of the ones who stop by know and love dogs.

18. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    That's a lot of visitors, Cory! I hope you can cope with that. I also hope it doesn't upset your babies too much. I sure am glad that Shayla is feeling better and that you are getting help for your pain.

grandmatoall and pawbaby like this.
  19. Candy

Candy Owner/Admin Staff Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Glad you all doing a little better Cory, and i do hope your Babies don't get a relapse when your Visitors come.
    And Susan i have this sign when you come into the House with a Yorkie on it that says : We live here, you don't ! We don't get many visitors or Repair Men,but if there was little kids with them i would put them behind a Gate. It sounds mean but they are Family and if someone don't like my Dogs they don't have to come...but thats my feelings..

grandmatoall, LynnR and pawbaby like this.
  20. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    I totally agree with you Candy!

Candy and grandmatoall like this.