Pictures of Maggie after Dog attack and surgery

Discussion in 'Sick,Injured,Emergency' started by LynnR, Apr 30, 2018.

1. LynnR

LynnR Lynn, Calleigh, Maggie &Molly, Patti

Poo:
    Poo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just so you know, Maggie seems to be healing very, very well

grandmatoall likes this.
  2. grandmatoall

grandmatoall Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy. RIP Leo, TJ and Lilly

Poo:
    Poo:
    I am glad she is recovering so well. What a trouper she is. When will they take out the drain tubes?

3. KippersMa

KippersMa Well-Known Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Oh my oh my. That dear baby girl! It is a nightmare I have and worry about whenever we take walks and people just let their big mean dogs loose. I always wonder how I could possibly protect them all. Thankfully, it has never happened. My husband usually confronts the dog or gets between us and that is usually enough to make the dog back off or alert the owners. Just this morning, Nabi was out near the road!!! My husband is not good about making sure our back gate is closed. It could be only a matter of time before one of our dogs gets attacked by a loose dog (we rarely see them loose, but sometimes they do and Lexi gets rid of them, fast!) if we aren't careful. I am sure whoever was taking care of your girls for you felt terrible that this happened while you are so ill yourself. I am continuing to pray for you all!

LynnR and grandmatoall like this.
  4. Candy

Candy Owner/Admin Staff Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Thanks for the pics and am so glad Maggie is healing quickly. Did anyone figure out who the Dog belonged to ?
    Susan i always felt the same way whenever i walked mine
    with was almost every day and we got wildlife around us and a occasionally a loose dog...mine would go crazy and almost impossible to control .Will be easier now but still worry about it. Was thinking about a Cattle Stick or a Taser...

5. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    I think we might have to resort to something like that, as well. I am just not sure what the liability would be if a pet owner sued us for using something like that on their dog. I think I will do some research. Thanks for the idea!

LynnR likes this.
  6. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    I think we might have to resort to something like that, as well. I am just not sure what the liability would be if a pet owner sued us for using something like that on their dog. I think I will do some research. Thanks for the idea!
    A call to your police station or humane society should give you the answer on what is safe and effective to use. You are trying to keep yourselves and your babies safe. You would never hurt another animal on purpose.

LynnR likes this.
  7. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    1. Give the loose dog something better to do
    Dogs who seem happy and bubbly are often easily stopped by asking them to “sit.” If the dog complies, you can toss a handful of treats to him and make your escape while he’s vacuuming them up. Even if he doesn’t listen, toss a handful of treats cat his face (with the intent to startle, not hurt). When he stops to see what hit him, he’ll realize that there’s food on the ground and devote his attention to eating instead of rushing your dog.

This method has worked really well for a few overly exuberant dogs in my neighborhood. It doesn’t stop them from approaching in the future, but it’s the kindest way to give your dog space without the potential fallout that more forceful methods may cause.

2. If that doesn’t work, try to startle the loose dog
    Step in between your dog and the oncoming dog and use a body block. Square your shoulders and hips, and hold your hand out like a cop stopping traffic while saying “no,” “stop,” or “stay” in a firm, low voice. Alternatively, you could carry an umbrella and open it in the direction of the rushing dog, which will both startle him and provide a physical and visual barrier. One of my clients painted large eyes on her umbrella, which would pop open explosively at the push of a button. This so startled an aggressive Puggle in her neighborhood that he never again went after her dog.

3. Use a spray product if he comes close
    Spray Shield is a citronella product manufactured by Premier/PetSafe. It is aversive to most dogs without actually harming them, and can be sprayed directly at an oncoming dog. I carry this product on walks and use it to keep back especially determined dogs (including those who mean to attack my dog). Some people have also reported success using compressed air in the same way. Spray Shield has the added benefit of working to stop some dog fights, so if things do get out of hand you have a safer way to break up a fight than trying to forcibly remove one of the combatants.

4. Don’t use pepper spray
    Not only can pain make some dogs more aggressive, but if the wind gusts the wrong way the spray could end up getting into your or your dog’s face and eyes, leaving you incapacitated with an unknown dog rushing you. Not a good situation to be in! Running away is also generally not advised, as it will just encourage most dogs to chase you. Picking your dog up is usually not a good idea, although in some situations you may decide it’s a calculated risk you’re willing to take. Doing so may put you at greater risk and can intensify the off-leash dog’s interest in your pup.

5. But if you must pick up your dog …
    While cases of truly aggressive dogs intent on bodily harm are rare, they do happen. If your small dog is rushed by an aggressive off-leash dog, you may be able to pick him up and toss him somewhere safer, such as in a nearby garbage can, inside a fenced yard, in the bed of a truck, or on the roof of a car. You can also take advantage of some of these safety options. If you have a bigger dog or if no other options are available, you may need to assess whether your dog would be safer if you dropped the leash so that he can try to get away from the other dog or defend himself.

6. Protect yourself
    If the loose dog redirects on you (which is rare, but does happen), protect your head and neck. Spray Shield will stop all but the most aggressive dogs, and generally these dogs are only stopped by physically separating them from their victim. One of my clients carries a walking stick on outings after one of her small dogs was killed by a much larger dog who jumped his fence. While the stick may not have saved her dog, it makes her feel more comfortable to have something to use to keep an aggressive dog back.

8. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    Interesting, Bobbi. I have read so many different opinions on the suggestions you have shared. One is that offering the offending dog treats is more like a reward for its threatening actions. Second, opening an umbrella can scare your own dogs and become hard to handle--they offered that a closed umbrella with the long point and with your hand around the tines of the umbrella to give it more stability is a better method. The other opinion was that those sprays do not work and usually end up affecting the person using it or their own dog. Cattle prods are illegal in a lot of areas, but I have not been able to find out the rules for my own county yet, so I am still undecided. So far, the suggestion #2 that you posted regarding the posture of the owner and the command for the dog to stop is what we have used successfully, thus far. I am terrified, but Rachel and Steven are fearless and seem to do well with that. Rachel has an incredible way of communicating, without even speaking to the offending dog and it is beyond understanding how she does that.

9. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    I thought the compressed air might work. It does sound like the SHHH sound used by the Dog Whisperer to control dogs.

LynnR likes this.
  10. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    I can't drive for at least two weeks and have to go back to the Lab on Thursday for more blood tests - as my White blood count still needs to come down. Sepsis is nothing to fool around with. I am still having trouble keeping food down. Actually Maggie is doing better than I am - really bad lower back pain and weakness.

grandmatoall and KippersMa like this.
  11. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    Lynn, you have been through sooo much! I pray that you will soon be able to eat and regain your strength. I wonder why your back still hurts so badly? I hope that improves, too! Please take care of yourself. We all love you and your girls so very much.

12. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
  13. Candy

Poo:
    Poo:
    Hope you feel better soon Lynn hugs

grandmatoall likes this.
  14. Candy

Poo:
    Poo:
    The thing is here you don't have to worry just about Dogs as we have wildlife here, not uncommon for Bears strolling around here or the occasional Cougar and so on...then when you have more then one on leash you don't know who to pick up...mine would act very nasty ready to fight which don't help...

grandmatoall likes this.
  15. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    Please :prayer: for Maggie. She is going for surgery this morning to remove some of the dead skin. She will then get a new draining tube. Poor, sweet Maggie has been through a lot. She will be at the clinic until about 4:30 this afternoon. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  16. Candy

Poo:
    Poo:
    [​IMG]

KippersMa likes this.
  17. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    Prayers being lifted to Heaven for Maggie and for you, too, Lynn!

18. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    Well, we got Maggie home at 4:30 PM. Eunice went to pick her up. They had to cut away all the dead leathery skin and I have to clean the wound 2x a day with warm water and clean cloths and put an ointment on it - Maggie is on a very strong pain killer. It just makes me so mad that she has to go through this.

grandmatoall likes this.
  19. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    I understand your anger that dear little Maggie had to go through this. I am also sad that you have to go through it, as well! I wish that mean dog would be appropriately dealt with, since it is clearly a vicious animal towards other little ones. I will keep praying for everything to work out for you, Lynn. And for speedy healing for you both!

20. Candy

Poo:
    Poo:
    Poor little Maggie, i would be very angry too. Would be nice if someone saw the dog so you could confront the owners. Wonder if it was the same Dog ?
    Healing prayers send from us to you two

grandmatoall and LynnR like this.