Old Buddy

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
I think it is time to say goodbye to our Old Buddy. He is not eating and he can barely stay on his feet. We don't feel that he would make it very long on our cross country adventure and he is so miserable right now. I know you all can relate to this decision and I trust that you will be praying for us as we say our goodbyes in the next few days to our Buddy. He has been a marvelous companion and deserves to go peacefully and not suffer any longer.

LynnR

Lynn, Benji, Calleigh, Maggie
Oct 13, 2009
Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
I think it is time to say goodbye to our Old Buddy. He is not eating and he can barely stay on his feet. We don't feel that he would make it very long on our cross country adventure and he is so miserable right now. I know you all can relate to this decision and I trust that you will be praying for us as we say our goodbyes in the next few days to our Buddy. He has been a marvelous companion and deserves to go peacefully and not suffer any longer.
Dear Susan, I understand how you feel. I watched Molly for a year after she got Cushings, it was so painful and I felt so selfish - I loved that dog so much and it was so hard to even think of letting her go. When I got sick in April, I had no choice, it was taken out of my hands. Molly was put to sleep by my favorite Veterinarian Dr. Ruth on April 23rd, I called Ruth from the hospital and she was there for me when she heard I was in the hospital. Everyone knows how much you love Buddy and how you have gone out of your way to keep him with you, but sometimes it's time to say goodbye. Know you will be in my :prayer: the next few days.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Buddy has had a wonderful life with 2 of the best people I know. He loves you very much and he trusts you will do what needs to be done. It is hard to let him go, I know. But he trusts you to help him pass into heaven. My Leo, Lilly and TJ will be there to play with him and keep him happy until he can join you once again.

I send both of you (((((((BIG HUGS))))))). love you.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Thank you all. This has been another miserable day for Buddy. I am trying to remember the more pleasant and healthy times he has had over the last several months. We knew this was coming. It just isn't fair to keep him on all those pills (which he is beginning to resist taking, so I know he is asking us to just let him go in peace).

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this — the last battle — can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close — we two — these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

— Unknown

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Thank you, Bobbi. We both cried at the poem you posted. Steven is having a particularly difficult time with this, as he will be the one to take Buddy in to the vet at 2pm today. Buddy just adored Steven and they were best buddies for over 14 years.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Dear sweet Buddy crossed over to Rainbow Bridge a little after 2pm. He never even raised his head when they administered the drugs. He was so ready to be at rest forever. As you might well imagine, this is a very emotional time for us. I am signing off for the rest of the day. Thank you for your prayers and expressions of love and compassion.

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Oh Susan, i am so so sorry, i know how much you guys loved him. I know it is the hardest thing to do being through this twice in the past 3 month...Cant say it any better then the prayer the Bobbi posted.You did the right thing . Many Hugs to you both !

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I am crying like a baby. My face is soaked. What a sweet soul Buddy has always been. He has been a special gift here on earth. He loved you both very much. He is now running around heaven, with no pain, as joyful and playful as he has ever been.

Remember, he is still here. He lives on in your hearts. I still feel like Leo visits us. I get a feeling and turn, expecting to see him. He was such a love.

I am sending lots of love to you both.