Newbie here

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Hello and :welcome2: Joan and Snuffy, (what a cute name) so nice to meet you.
My Name is Candy, i lost my 2 Babies this past yr. Rosi was 13and lost her in March. Apollo was 12
and lost him in July. They where the loves of my life. I could not stop crying...
Faith brought Maggie and me together through a Breeder Friend. A Friend of her bought Maggie thinking she was a show dog, she was not due to her having a soft coat. The guy lived in Texas and wanted $600.00 for her if it was a good home.When i saw her on a video clip it was love at first sight...he flew her from Texas to Portland,OR. I live in Washington State. He had to fly right back due to his job. He had Family Members living with him as she has a few quirks,there was a 4 yr old in the home also. She likes to bite in the heels. She is def a biter (except me) she is very anxious but getting better, she is not Potty broken and she gets very defensive when someone has something like a Broom or something, shows kenneled at times and lived in a apartment and did not know what outside was. I don't think the guy is mean, he worked all day. He bought her from Breeder 6 mo.prior to me getting her, i know he cared for her, he had tears when he handed her over to me and checks on her now and then. Maggie will be 2 March 15th.
We are so in love with each other....she is getting better each day, but still can't pick her up unless i corner her. Poor Thing, god knows what she went through before she came here...
Cant wait to see some pics. Again Welcome :agree:

Reactions: LynnR

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Welcome, Joan! I also love the name, Snuffy. My name is Susan and we just moved to Florida from Washington state. We have 5 yorkies, a yorkie/shi tzhu and a border collie mix. We also have a 20 pound sulcata tortoise and a 14 pound Maine Coon mix cat. Everyone gets along very well and they all love to travel! I look forward to hearing more about your human and fur family!

LynnR

Lynn, Benji, Calleigh, Maggie
Oct 13, 2009
Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
Welcome, Joan! I also love the name Snuffy. I am Lynn from Cranbrook, B.C. Canada in the Rocky Mountains I have 3 Yorkies: Benji (male) Calleigh (female) & Maggie Muggins (female). Can't wait to get to know you and your fur babies.

Reactions: grandmatoall

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Hi Joan and Snuffy. What a cute name. I am Bobbi and I have 2 furbabies. Sandy is our 6lb Morkie and Roxy is our 5 lb Yorkie. They are the loves of our lives. I look forward to getting to know you and your little Snuffy. Welcome to our little family.

Snuffys momma

Aug 14, 2018
East Stroudsburg, Pa.
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I once had a pack of 3 yorkies, all 3 years apart, all females. I raised them from 8 week old pups and socialized them as soon as they were fully vaccinated. They loved all animals, goats, cows, sheep, and of course dogs, cats not so much. No, I don't live on a farm lol wish I did lol. They met the farm animals at a flower nursery where I bought my flowers. My girls were not tiny's, 2 were 13 pounds and the baby was 9 pounds, she ruled the pack lol. In 1997 the 2 older ones passed away 6 months apart, the baby who was then 6 years old went into deep depression, I gave her 6 months to get use to being the only fur child. That never happened so month 7 I told my family to keep an eye out for a puppy. In 1997 there was no media about puppy mills, a word I never heard, all my puppies were gotten at pet shops. Maybe I was just lucky because they were all healthy until they reached their senior years when all dogs start having health issues. A cousin called me, a pet store where she and other members of her family had gotten puppies from had just gotten a yorkie girl asked if I wanted to see her. When I got off from work I went to see this puppy. She was huge at 8 weeks old with German Shepard size ears, a beautiful face I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her. She was going to be a big girl which was good because my 6 year old was a bossy lil girl. When I bought her home that night and set that puppy on the floor my 6 yo ran and greeted her like she was a long lost friend, From that moment on they were BFF, my older one name Schnae stuck to that puppy like glue, she was once the baby, now she became the momma, my little clown was back. I use to call them Roadway after the tracker trailer double trailers, where one was the other was right behind her. The puppy was named Matese and because she was so big 17 pounds as an adult she had a big bed and both snuggled together, they were inseparable.
In 2002 I moved from my home town NY to my summer home in The Poconos Pa. and commuted to my NY job. My once house broken girls now had to be retrained to use piddle pads which they adapted to quickly. In 2005 Schnae now 14 years old had to be put down due to kidney failure, Matese grieved the lose of her BFF, I couldn't get her a puppy because I was gone 12 to 13 hours a day due to commuting 2 hours each way. I couldn't mourn the loss of Schnae, I had to stay strong for Matese, she was missing her lil buddy to much. She did adapt finally to being the only fur kid and our bond got stronger. In 2013 Matese became very sick, she had stopped eating and had diarrhea , she was at the vets for 7 days with IV. Thank GOD I was then retired and could visit her every day each day she was losing more and more weight. Day # 7 the tech called me early in the morning to tell me I had to come in and say my good byes, I had to put Matese down. I called a friend crying saying I can't do it, I can't let her go, I knew I had to, the tech said her organs were breaking down, she was in pain and there was nothing more they could do for her, so my friend drove me to the vet and I helped my girl cross to Rainbow Bridge. I have had to put babies down in the past, it is not an easy thing to do, but having to let Matese go was the worse thing in my life. She was 17 years old, I raised her from a 8 week old puppy and cared for her when she became almost completely blind and deaf, I guess I just loved her to much.For days after letting her go I had such a pain in my heart I thought I was having a heart attack, I swore no more dogs, the pain of losing them is to intense. A few weeks later I gathered together all her things and things I had saved from my other girls. I took 3 truck loads to my local no kill shelter and donated them, including a 4 x 6 kiddie swimming pool that 2 of my yorkies swam in, my little water buffalo's they loved swimming.
6 weeks after putting Matese down my vet called, her rescue team just bought in a 2 1/2 male yorkie, not abused he was surrendered, this was on a Tuesday, my vet was having adoption day for other rescues she had the coming Saturday, when she saw this yorkie she told her tech to get me on the phone, she said this dog will not make it to adoption day, this is Joan's gog get her on the phone. She told me when she saw this dog he reminded her of my Matese because he had huge ears. I gave her all the reasons why I did not want another dog and I did not want a male dog because of their marking everything. This dog was neutered she said he squatted when he made,she kept begging me to just come to see the dog. My vet could have called anyone but she thought of me, so, to appease her I said I would come the next day just to see the dog, I knew it was safe to see him because no way would I take a male dog. I went the next day "just to see the dog". They had me wait in their lunch room which was a fairly large room, they bought him in and set him down, he was running from person to person, every time a tech opened the door and came in he would run to her like are you going to take me out of here. He was 12 pounds tiny to me after having a 17 pound yorkie for 17 years. I felt so bad for this little guy, who can just toss a little life away, so he ended up coming home with me. I had nothing, no harness, leash, food bowl, no food, nothing. Well he was surrendered with a bag of his belongings that included harness and leash, my vet gave me a bag of food. As soon as we entered my house he took it over lol, he bonded with me immediately. I assumed he was not allowed on the furniture or the bed because, when he jumped on the sofa he had that look that said hey look, I'm on your sofa lol, same with my bed, but it was all ok, that's where all my yorkies sat and slept.I am so happy that I made a snap decision and took him, he is a perfect boy, very smart, very food motivated so he learned commands and tricks in one day (one command or trick a day) does not mark, squats to make. We are together for 5 years now. I have been blessed. So ladies, that is my yorkie history, BTW, since I had no plans of another dog he went through 3 name changes until I came up with Snuffy lol.Thank you for reading this novel lol.
As soon as i can find my way around this forum I will post a photo of my perfect boy and my beautiful now passed 17 pound Matese. Not a day goes by that I don't cry for her, I love and miss her so much.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I once had a pack of 3 yorkies, all 3 years apart, all females. I raised them from 8 week old pups and socialized them as soon as they were fully vaccinated. They loved all animals, goats, cows, sheep, and of course dogs, cats not so much. No, I don't live on a farm lol wish I did lol. They met the farm animals at a flower nursery where I bought my flowers. My girls were not tiny's, 2 were 13 pounds and the baby was 9 pounds, she ruled the pack lol. In 1997 the 2 older ones passed away 6 months apart, the baby who was then 6 years old went into deep depression, I gave her 6 months to get use to being the only fur child. That never happened so month 7 I told my family to keep an eye out for a puppy. In 1997 there was no media about puppy mills, a word I never heard, all my puppies were gotten at pet shops. Maybe I was just lucky because they were all healthy until they reached their senior years when all dogs start having health issues. A cousin called me, a pet store where she and other members of her family had gotten puppies from had just gotten a yorkie girl asked if I wanted to see her. When I got off from work I went to see this puppy. She was huge at 8 weeks old with German Shepard size ears, a beautiful face I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her. She was going to be a big girl which was good because my 6 year old was a bossy lil girl. When I bought her home that night and set that puppy on the floor my 6 yo ran and greeted her like she was a long lost friend, From that moment on they were BFF, my older one name Schnae stuck to that puppy like glue, she was once the baby, now she became the momma, my little clown was back. I use to call them Roadway after the tracker trailer double trailers, where one was the other was right behind her. The puppy was named Matese and because she was so big 17 pounds as an adult she had a big bed and both snuggled together, they were inseparable.
In 2002 I moved from my home town NY to my summer home in The Poconos Pa. and commuted to my NY job. My once house broken girls now had to be retrained to use piddle pads which they adapted to quickly. In 2005 Schnae now 14 years old had to be put down due to kidney failure, Matese grieved the lose of her BFF, I couldn't get her a puppy because I was gone 12 to 13 hours a day due to commuting 2 hours each way. I couldn't mourn the loss of Schnae, I had to stay strong for Matese, she was missing her lil buddy to much. She did adapt finally to being the only fur kid and our bond got stronger. In 2013 Matese became very sick, she had stopped eating and had diarrhea , she was at the vets for 7 days with IV. Thank GOD I was then retired and could visit her every day each day she was losing more and more weight. Day # 7 the tech called me early in the morning to tell me I had to come in and say my good byes, I had to put Matese down. I called a friend crying saying I can't do it, I can't let her go, I knew I had to, the tech said her organs were breaking down, she was in pain and there was nothing more they could do for her, so my friend drove me to the vet and I helped my girl cross to Rainbow Bridge. I have had to put babies down in the past, it is not an easy thing to do, but having to let Matese go was the worse thing in my life. She was 17 years old, I raised her from a 8 week old puppy and cared for her when she became almost completely blind and deaf, I guess I just loved her to much.For days after letting her go I had such a pain in my heart I thought I was having a heart attack, I swore no more dogs, the pain of losing them is to intense. A few weeks later I gathered together all her things and things I had saved from my other girls. I took 3 truck loads to my local no kill shelter and donated them, including a 4 x 6 kiddie swimming pool that 2 of my yorkies swam in, my little water buffalo's they loved swimming.
6 weeks after putting Matese down my vet called, her rescue team just bought in a 2 1/2 male yorkie, not abused he was surrendered, this was on a Tuesday, my vet was having adoption day for other rescues she had the coming Saturday, when she saw this yorkie she told her tech to get me on the phone, she said this dog will not make it to adoption day, this is Joan's gog get her on the phone. She told me when she saw this dog he reminded her of my Matese because he had huge ears. I gave her all the reasons why I did not want another dog and I did not want a male dog because of their marking everything. This dog was neutered she said he squatted when he made,she kept begging me to just come to see the dog. My vet could have called anyone but she thought of me, so, to appease her I said I would come the next day just to see the dog, I knew it was safe to see him because no way would I take a male dog. I went the next day "just to see the dog". They had me wait in their lunch room which was a fairly large room, they bought him in and set him down, he was running from person to person, every time a tech opened the door and came in he would run to her like are you going to take me out of here. He was 12 pounds tiny to me after having a 17 pound yorkie for 17 years. I felt so bad for this little guy, who can just toss a little life away, so he ended up coming home with me. I had nothing, no harness, leash, food bowl, no food, nothing. Well he was surrendered with a bag of his belongings that included harness and leash, my vet gave me a bag of food. As soon as we entered my house he took it over lol, he bonded with me immediately. I assumed he was not allowed on the furniture or the bed because, when he jumped on the sofa he had that look that said hey look, I'm on your sofa lol, same with my bed, but it was all ok, that's where all my yorkies sat and slept.I am so happy that I made a snap decision and took him, he is a perfect boy, very smart, very food motivated so he learned commands and tricks in one day (one command or trick a day) does not mark, squats to make. We are together for 5 years now. I have been blessed. So ladies, that is my yorkie history, BTW, since I had no plans of another dog he went through 3 name changes until I came up with Snuffy lol.Thank you for reading this novel lol.
As soon as i can find my way around this forum I will post a photo of my perfect boy and my beautiful now passed 17 pound Matese. Not a day goes by that I don't cry for her, I love and miss her so much.
What a lovely story. I enjoyed reading it. I will have to write down my yorkie story one of these days. An excellent idea.

I am very happy you were able to find your wonderful Snuffy. He sounds like he was meant for you. I love how you said, "Just to see the dog". It was love at first sight.

I don't think any of us knew much about "puppy farms or back yard breeders", when we started with our babies. I know I didn't. So don't feel bad. You are not alone. And my Sandy's dad was a tea pot yorkie. I'm not sure how much he weighed. But he was at least 14 lbs. She is 6 lbs. now. It doesn't matter how much they weigh. They are fantastic animals and very loving companions.

Last edited:

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
I enjoyed readyg also..i had Rosi and Apollo since they where pretty healthy except the last 3 yrs for Apollo he had a genetic illness,he a leaking protein through his Bowels, 2 of his brothers had and last time i took him to vet, he was very sick, very listless so Vet x-rayed him and we saw one of his lungs was filled with Tumors and his keytones where very high. Feel so guilty as i gave them Human Food...poor guy also briefed for Rosi very bad i think he gave up, he was the most gentle Boy i seen..i could not let him suffer ant more...he just turned 12
Rosi got Diabetes little over a yr ago, broke my heart having t gove her shots twice a day specially since i has Macular Degeneration and am legally blind in one eye. She started having seizures which got worse and worse..her last night was a night mare,Vet ave me 2 anti seizure shots in case as we did not know for sure what was wrong. My daughter Syk came up as we did think she would not live long during the night. When Office opened i called ant told them no more, we need to put her down which 2 Vets agreed ..She just turned 13 the week after her Birthday..am still heartbroken that i lost both f them, i miss them so much ! Could not stop crying until i found Maggie !