Natural Hotspots Remedy !

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
REMOVE THE HAIR. This is the most important thing to do in order to allow hot spots to heal. Use a pair of blunt nosed scissors to trim as much hair as possible on and around the spot. If you have clippers use them for trimming. These can be very painful and some dogs will not let you trim much hair.

CLEAN THE AREA. Use a mild, non-perfumed antiseptic soap (Hibitane) to clean the skin. Gently dab it on the spot, lather up and rinse well.

A CUP OF TEA. The key to curing hot spots is to get them to dry out. A very effective antiseptic drying solution is tea and aspirin. Brew up a strong cup of black tea and dissolve an aspirin tablet in it. Soak a cloth in this brew and apply it to the area for 5 minutes four times daily.

davidhuge

Mar 28, 2020
USA
I use Vet's Best Hot Spot Spray - Yes, it contains tea tree oil. This is a natural analgesic and has antibacterial properties. My Wheaten Terrier does the same thing- licks and licks between his toes (and he LOVES Bitter apple).

Benedryl has been mildly helpful, as have infrequent baths with oatmeal shampoo. I know you feel bad about the cone but it's for his own good. After three days of cone (no licking) + hot spot spray + benedryl my guy is usually back to normal. Good luck!

Reactions: grandmatoall