Mozart's skin issues

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Ever since we adopted Mozart at 11 months old, he has suffered from some type of allergy, causing thin hair and bumps filled with pus. The vets we used to have, tried antibiotics and cytopoint injections, to see if they would help, but it was short lived. We tried changing his food--he is definitely allergic to chicken, because when my puppies were on raw food, he had an immediate and violent reaction to the raw chicken.
Well, our new vet suggested that we put him on a month long antibiotic treatment, along with Royal Canin Veterinary Diet, called Ultamino. I was worried when I saw that one of the first ingredients was poultry by products, but I fed it to him anyway. He loves the food! We are not allowed to give him anything else at all, so if I want to treat him, I give him another kibble of his special food. His skin is completely healed, his hair is growing in thick and lush, and he is playful again!! It is amazing. The antibiotics stop tomorrow and then we will see if his skin stays clear. If it does not, then we must think about taking him to a veterinary allergist for testing. Please pray that we don't have to do that!! I am so hoping that this food will be all he needs to keep him healthy and free of skin problems.

Reactions: grandmatoall

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
That is wonderful! I pray this has fixed his problems and he will keep on the good path with his new foods.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Thank you all for your kind remarks. Dear little Mozart took his last antibiotic today and so now the true test comes!! He seems pretty happy and lively. I told the vet that he has been happily humping Omari for a week now! She laughed and asked what Omari did when Mozart went to town. I told her that he rolls his eyes and looks at me like, “Really? Is this supposed to be fun?” She told me she couldn’t help with any suggestions. I am just using distraction as the best deterrent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Thank you all for your kind remarks. Dear little Mozart took his last antibiotic today and so now the true test comes!! He seems pretty happy and lively. I told the vet that he has been happily humping Omari for a week now! She laughed and asked what Omari did when Mozart went to town. I told her that he rolls his eyes and looks at me like, “Really? Is this supposed to be fun?” She told me she couldn’t help with any suggestions. I am just using distraction as the best deterrent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope Mozarts skin continues to feel better. Poor Omari. He thinks Mozart is a pest. Your babies keep things interesting. LOL

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
I am concerned. Mozart has been vomiting bile during the night and even during the day, he will shiver and act hypoglycemic. I feed him a little more food and he calms down. I am going to be speaking to the vet this morning to see what it might be. Otherwise, he loves the food and once he eats, he is fine. It is $50/8lb bag, so I hope we can switch to a less expensive food for him. If not, I guess we will stick with the Ultramino (Royal Canin Prescription Diet). Even though he has been off the antibiotics for two weeks, he still shows no signs of skin issues. That is good news, but it may take longer to manifest itself. I hope not.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I am hoping you can find a good food for him that doesn't cost a fortune. Hugs and prayers for him to feed better and get his issues worked out.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Mozart was doing fantastic on the Ultramino and can eat this for the rest of his life. He is happy with it and he has no more skin issues. Hooray! However, as we were leaving a very long vet appointment for the other 5 puppies, he tore his toenail on their doorstep, resulting in another vet bill to completely remove the nail that was barely hanging on. Poor baby!! He has a huge bandage covering his foot that he needs to leave on for 3-5 days.

• Wow

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Having no more skin issues must be heaven. He is such a love. Please give him puppy kisses and tummy rubs from us. I hope his little toe heals quickly.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I'll bet he has a beautiful puppy smile on his face now. No more itching and lots of beautiful hair all over his body. His Daddy and Mommy love him to the moon and back. His brother and sisters are all great and he has a wonderful life.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
I'll bet he has a beautiful puppy smile on his face now. No more itching and lots of beautiful hair all over his body. His Daddy and Mommy love him to the moon and back. His brother and sisters are all great and he has a wonderful life.
You are right, Bobbi! Mozart is so happy and EVERYONE notices how beautiful his hair looks--shiny and lush. I am so very relieved his suffering is over! His little toe healed quickly and he is playful and alert.

• Love