Molly

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
This is my Christmas present: Molly!!! My sister-in-law just couldn't bring herself to take Molly back. She doesn't like her personality and doesn't have the energy to watch Molly turn into the sweetest, most precious yorkie ever! They gave her to us at no cost, even though they have spent over $1,000 on her, between her purchase price and flea meds that will last a year. Molly is spayed, up to date with her vaccines and has no health problems.
I feel like I am such a sucker. I cried when I heard they were not going to take her back, even though she has calmed down so much and I feel that Molly has been so traumatized by her past two (three?) homes. She needs stability and love and consistent training. My husband just adores her and so do I.
Here, I feel that I will get all the support I need as we go through yet another housetraining, puppy training period. The good part is that all our puppies have accepted her and seem to be unaffected by her presence.

Reactions: grandmatoall

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Oh Susan, i am so happy to hear that, you have a Heart of Gold :heart: We may be potty training together haha, been having problems with Maggie.The past 4 days she is peeing more then normal, she can hold it for a long time and never potties during the night and now 2-3 times during the night...took her to the vet and she showed Bacteria in her Urine, so she is on antibiotics for 10 days. She pees on the corner of her pad an needless to say what happens...been a mess ! I know Molly is in a good loving home
:tree::merryxmas:

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
:carolers:I knew it! LOL. :bell:I have been secretly hoping you two would take her. And I know Molly is happy to be with you. You give her stability and consistent training and lots of love.

LynnR

Lynn, Benji, Calleigh, Maggie, Shayleigh
Oct 13, 2009
Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
:carolers: I am also happy that Molly will be staying with you. :bigcandle:It's meant to be. If they don't like her she will never do well with them - dogs know! Your home is the best for sweet Molly. I was hoping this is how it would turn out.:bell::bigcandle:

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Thank you , my dear friends. It is really funny. Ever since we decided we would give Molly her forever home, things have been far less stressful. I know that I am working on her behaviors for us, and not for someone else? Anyway, she is getting better about not pottying in the house! She also goes willingly into her crate for eating and into her small kennel for sleeping. She sits on command when putting on her leash and she excitedly wants to come back into the house when she is finished pottying. She seemed pretty terrified when we took her in the car, fastened on the puppy seats we have, but settled down fine. We visited Rachel and took them for a walk. The exercise was great, but the experience is one I never want to repeat!! There were sand burrs in the grass and all the sweet puppies got them stuck in-between their toes and in their hair. It was awful! I had my hands full with three of the dogs, my purse, and some wrapping paper and Rachel was walking her dog, PleyEl while our grandson was walking two of our puppies and my husband had the last two (Molly and Nabi). We were almost home, when I told them all to hurry so we could stay on the road rather than to risk anymore sand burrs. I turned slightly to look for cars while trying to go faster and I didn't see the dip in the grass where I was trying to leave. I twisted my ankle badly and crashed onto the ground, FACE FIRST! This smashed my glasses into the bridge of my nose, cutting it and popping the lens out of the glasses. It hurt so bad!! I cried. I put my glasses and the lens into my purse and hobbled home to Rachel's house. When I got there, I discovered that my glasses had fallen out of my purse, so my grandson went back and found them. Sadly, a car had run over them and finished the damage beyond repair. Good thing they weren't prescription glasses! My ankle is very swollen and discolored (it popped when I twisted it), but doesn't hurt unless I twist it. I can walk on pavement, but not so well on uneven ground. My face is a bit of a mess, but it will heal. I didn't need any stitches and as long as I keep my reading glasses away from the bridge of my nose, it doesn't hurt, either. I was really blessed not to be more badly injured, as hard as I fell. Also, I dropped the leashes of the three dogs I was walking! I am so glad they were my well behaved babies and although they were on the road, no cars were coming and I called them back to me and they came right away. They were all worried about me. I love my sweet babies so much!! Needless to say, we won't be doing too much walking for the next while. I did manage to get my 10,000 steps again today, though. I was careful!! We are taking Rachel's dog cart home with us after church tomorrow so that both my husband and myself will have carts behind our bicycles and we can bike for awhile as my ankle heals. The weather here is perfect for that!! Not too hot and not too cold.

LynnR

Lynn, Benji, Calleigh, Maggie, Shayleigh
Oct 13, 2009
Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
Oh, Susan I am so sorry about you fall! I fell like that in the summer and hurt both knees and also had my reading glasses on. The next day I had two black eyes and was supposed to go out with Ruth, she said don't worry I'll come to your house. When she got here I told her I was in a fight with the dogs and they won! Anyway, I hope you don't get a black eye. Mine were black for a week and a half and I didn't want to go anywhere.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I am happy Molly is yours. She will develop into the little angel she deserves to be. I am glad we don't have sand burrs around our place. At least, where we walk. They stick to everything.

You poor dear! I am so sorry you were injured from falling. It sounds like you hit HARD. You will probably have a black eye since you hit your face so hard. Sending you gentle kisses and lots of soft hugs. I pray you heal quickly without a lot of pain. Take it easy on your ankle. I am surprised riding a bike doesn't bother it. Be sure to take a picture of your carts with the babies in them. I'll bet they are adorable.

Reactions: LynnR

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
My foot is completely bruised to my toes, but amazingly, it does not hurt bad at all. There is less swelling today and I think if I just give it another day of careful use, it will probably be good to go. I try to only walk on solid surfaces, rather than uneven ones, just to protect my ankle. Molly is being a good girl. Still don't have the potty training down, but we will get there. She was also just awful when my sister-in-law and brother came to deliver their piano to me on Saturday. She jumped all over them and was absolutely wild. I finally put her in her crate for a bit and then had my husband take her out for a walk and to potty because she was so upset. That seemed to help her calm down a bit. This time, when they left, she did not act upset that they were going or gone and she calmed down immediately. I can still tell she is upset by them and loves them, but she is now getting attached to us and our babies. She is super good about going into her bed at night and also the crate for feeding time. When we went to church at 8:15 and came home at 6:15, she had peed on the floor in the Florida room, but I expected that, having been gone so long. She was wild and excited we were home, but all our babies are like that when we leave for a long time, so the only difference is that she is quite a bit more exuberant and can jump really high! Ha ha! She calmed down after her dinner and slept on my lap for the rest of the evening, while I rested my ankle. She is being super good about not getting into the gifts under the tree and also learned not to chew the branches of our artificial Christmas tree or bother the ornaments. I am really pleased with her. We bought our puppies an agility tunnel and they love it!! We throw toys into the tunnel and off they go, dashing through. We can use it outside, too, but we would want it inside a fenced area. It is made from nylon material, so it can be quickly folded up and taken anywhere. For some reason, YouTube will not download my movie for you where they all have their jingle bells on, or I would share their fun. If you wish, you could look up my YouTube Channel, Kippers Ma. I will try to make one of them in the tunnel, too.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Molly continues to present challenges in her behavior, but each week that passes, we can see improvements. She is still not housetrained, although I think she might be getting a glimmer of the idea. The biggest hurdle is that she was used to just going potty whenever she felt like it, rather than learning to hold it. The first positive step was using the small crate at night, causing her to hold her potty for at least 8 hours. I did not want to keep her in a crate all day, so I have to put up with accidents if I am not attentive to her potty signs.
My brother and his wife came over for Bible Study this past Wednesday and she was horrible!! She went ballistic when she saw them and nothing we did could calm her. She wanted to go home with them so badly, but as soon as they were out of sight, she calmed right down and was her happy, playful self. I feel like keeping her away from them completely, but Rachel says we need to work through this and eventually she will be calmer when they come. They also did not respect my wishes that they ignore her until she did calm down, so that was a tough one. I wanted no talk, no touch, no eye contact until she calmed. Oh well. Next time, I will be firmer with them!
We have quite a structured routine, hoping this will help her. Wake up time is between 6:30-7am. Molly and Nabi go out to go potty (I have to take Molly on a leash). We always feed the dogs between 7-7:30am. Next, if Molly has not pooped at the first potty break, we take her back outside for that. Between 9-10am, we take all the dogs out for an hour walk through our neighborhood, weather permitting. It is usually not too hot at this time, so it is very pleasant. They love this walk! For the rest of the day, they play ball and play with each other while I do my bookkeeping work, housework, etc., with potty breaks as needed. At 5pm, they get their supper. We switched Molly from the high protein food they had been feeding her, to one with less protein (Hills Science Diet, Small Paws) because the vet said that it might help her calm down. More potty breaks follow the supper and then they usually play a bit before settling down and just enjoy being cuddled, combed, etc. Bedtime is usually around 9-10pm and they race for the bedroom, up the little steps and into our bed! Molly sleeps in her crate between our pillows and JinJu sleeps in her crate that I put on top of my bedside table so she can see me. I will let her sleep with us if she doesn't growl or lunge at the other dogs, but it seldom works. She wants me all for herself.
If any of you have suggestions that I might incorporate into our routine or methods that will help with calming Molly down, I would appreciate hearing them. She is a dear baby and we want to help her feel secure and loved here.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
You are an amazing mom! I can't think of anything you are not already doing. It takes a long time to undo unwanted behaviors. As you know, consistency is the key... and you are doing that.

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
I think you doing all the. right things.You know Maggie got issues also, she is such funny little creature. I have my Concentrator running and it makes little noises.She don't like it but puts up with it for the most part but once in awhile she gets something up her butt and hides and I find her curled up next to the Toilet of all places.She is so restless. I talked to my Vet suggested trying a calming powder from Amazon first.It came a couple days ago called : Purina Pro Plan Veterinary RX FlortiFlora. You add it to their Food. Have to call Vet to see how much to give her.it does not say...it comes in little packets. Its not cheap..

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
I used to give that to my dogs all the time when they were in raw food because they kept getting gut problems. It does come in little packets and my dogs liked it okay. It didn’t calm them down, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk