Maggie

LynnR

Lynn, Benji, Calleigh, Maggie
Oct 13, 2009
Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
I had to rush Maggie to the Vet yesterday, her back was swollen and red and the sutures were starting to come out. It was really hot to the touch and her nose was also hot. At the clinic she had her temperature taken and it was not too high but higher than normal. The vet saw her, took her to the back and the technicians were working on her. After a good bit of time, they came out and told me they had to clean the wound, there was a discharge and it was infected, they told me I could stay or go away for a half hour - I stayed. Maggie is doing fine today, but not eating much - she is on antibiotics again and we will have to wait a month or two until we try surgery again. I am so, so, so tired and worried about my little sweetie. They told me that back wounds from dog attacks are the hardest and most difficult to heal, it is very near her left leg where she lost a lot of muscle when she was attacked. Please, :prayer: for my little Maggie & me, too! :cry:

Reactions: grandmatoall

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Oh no Lynn, i am so sorry for poor little Magie for having to go through all this. Thought she was dome with all this. I sure hope they gave her lots of pain meds to make her feel comfy ,poor Baby. I can imaging how your nerves are shot. Hang in there my Friend and be strong for sweet little Maggie and keep us posted on how she is doing..., i know you and know you like to crawl in a hole, talking helps ! :hugs: :prayer:

Reactions: LynnR

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Maggie is lucky you noticed it and took her straight in. Poor mite. What a mess this has been for both of you. I will be happy when she is all healed up. Hugs to you Lynn.

Reactions: LynnR

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Lynn, this is devastating news! Another surgery for poor little Maggie! As much as I love all animals, I am REALLY ANGRY at the dog who did this and especially for the irresponsible owner (if the dog had an owner). I am praying that the infection will quickly clear up and that Maggie will respond well to future treatments. May the Lord give you peace and comfort as you grieve over these setbacks, knowing that things will soon be set right.

LynnR

Oct 13, 2009
Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
Lynn, this is devastating news! Another surgery for poor little Maggie! As much as I love all animals, I am REALLY ANGRY at the dog who did this and especially for the irresponsible owner (if the dog had an owner). I am praying that the infection will quickly clear up and that Maggie will respond well to future treatments. May the Lord give you peace and comfort as you grieve over these setbacks, knowing that things will soon be set right.
Susan the dog did have an owner, but no collar, no licence, no name. I was told that it was a very big dog who was holding Maggie around the back and running down the street with her - he stopped to naw on her and a woman who was walking down the street saw them and screamed (she already had Calleigh in her arms and was trying to reach Maggie) which made the big dog drop Maggie and run away - when she reached Maggie, she was in a pool of blood, I was also told the woman wrapped Maggie in her sweater because she was bleeding. The lady had a cell phone and called the SPCA, then she rushed her there and they checked Maggie for a Microchip and found out I was the owner of Maggie & Calleigh(who was ok). They also wrapped Maggie with sterilized gauze and took her to Steeples(which is the clinic they deal with because it's the best in Cranbrook). The lady called my home number and my next door neighbour who was taking care of my dogs while I was in the hospital answered and told her that Steeples was my Veterinary clinic. The SPCA told my neighbour that she had to rush Maggie to Steeples to save her life. The rest is history. This all happened April 22nd, 2018 and Maggie & I have been dealing with her recovery since. The problem with the one they are trying to heal now is the fact that part of the muscle of her little left leg didn't have enough muscle mass left but they still had to stitch her together - therefore, Maggie now has a little limp. Last Weds. when they did the surgery I was told about this by the Vet who said because of the pull of her leg the stitches may not hold, but the wound had to be sutured to prevent infection. We won't be able to do surgery for a month or so because Maggie has to get better and stronger so we will have to wait and just keep it clean, etc. until surgery can take place again. I hate to tell you what I would do to that dog if I ever found it. No dog should be running around a city with children and innocent little dogs without a collar and a leash. I now report any dog that I see doesn't have one. I am just hanging in there and have very little energy - but I'm not giving up.

Last edited:

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Oh My Word! I had forgotten part of her story. I pray daily for her to get better and as back to normal as she can. She is such a beautiful little baby.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
We all want Maggie to get well. This stress cannot be good for either of you. Thank you for reminding us of the details, although it did make my heart sink when I read it. I cannot handle hearing that any of our babies would have to endure what sweet little Maggie has, and you as well! Keep your faith and be assured that you have my prayers!!

LynnR

Oct 13, 2009
Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
At least she no longer has a temperature and is eating again! Thanks everyone for your love and support, both Maggie and I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

LynnR

Oct 13, 2009
Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
Today her wound looks pretty good and very small. She has a re-check at the Vet Clinic this Tuesday and I'm sure it's healing well and she won't need additional surgery. Keep your fingers crossed.