Little Buddy is not doing well

Discussion in 'YP Siblings' started by KippersMa, Jan 25, 2018.

1. KippersMa

KippersMa Well-Known Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Our sweet mini Schnauzer, Buddy is approaching his 14th birthday. For the last two weeks, he has been falling over and can barely walk. He sleeps a lot. Today, I took him to the vet and she believes it is neurological, as did I. She prescribed Prednisone to possibly reduce any swelling in the neurological centers (she says that older dogs will often develop masses somewhere in their body and they can pinch the nerves) and a pain killer, just in case he is in pain, because he whines a lot. He acts confused and holds his front legs very stiff. He can't walk far, if at all, and leans up against the counters. Last night, I found him under our dining room table, crying. We had bloodwork done and they will let me know sometime tomorrow, how that came out, since they have to send it out for a full analysis. We did not opt for a referral to a neurologist, nor for x-rays. Buddy may be near the end of his life and we have loved every moment. Our goal is to keep him comfortable and enjoying love and companionship, not to prolong his life. If he does not improve in 5 days, we have decided to have him gently euthanized. What an agonizing decision!! He truly has been the Best Buddy!

pawbaby and LynnR like this.
  2. grandmatoall

grandmatoall Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy. RIP Leo, TJ and Lilly

Poo:
    Poo:
    I am sitting here crying for Buddy and for You. I know how hard it is to make that decision. You want the best for your babies. And you want to keep them around as long as you possibly can... because you love them. I had to do that with Leo not very long ago. It breaks your heart... but I know we made the right decision. As you will with your sweet Buddy.

As you know, I fell in love with him the first time I saw his picture. He has had a life full of love and kindness and I know he loves both of you very much.

Hugs for you my dear friend.

LynnR and KippersMa like this.
  3. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    Thank you, dear Bobbi. Buddy is one of the most beautiful schnauzers I have ever seen. His sweet nature made him even more attractive! He loves all people and other animals, too. It definitely is hard to watch him lose his interest in being touched or played with, as he was always so feisty and playful with the little ones. He doesn't even want to go for rides in the car, anymore. I will keep you informed regarding his progress or lack thereof.

LynnR and grandmatoall like this.
  4. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    Know I am here for you. Thank you.

pawbaby, LynnR and KippersMa like this.
  5. LynnR

LynnR Lynn, Benji, Calleigh, Maggie

Poo:
    Poo:
    Oh, Susan I am so sad reading this! My Molly is going down also and so I know how you feel. I will keep you in my :prayer: the next few days and will think of you and your family often. Your Buddy does look so sweet and I am so sorry you are going through this. I have noticed my Molly stumbling too and sleeping more and more. When she is up she bangs into things constantly. Please take care and know that I am here if you need to let off steam. :flower: :hugs:

pawbaby, grandmatoall and KippersMa like this.
  6. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    That is why we are here, to support one another as we raise our puppies and then watch them cross over the Rainbow Bridge, isn't it! You are all such an encouragement for me. In some ways, the slow decline of a beloved pet helps prepare for the inevitable. In other ways, it rips your heart out to see them failing. It is comforting to know that we will not be alone in this time of uncertainty and decision-making. Thank you so much!

pawbaby, grandmatoall and LynnR like this.
  7. Candy

Candy Owner/Admin Staff Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    I am so sorry Susan, how sad you must be watching Buddy decline and feel helpless. I would do the same. I hate that our Babies getting older...Rosi going to be13 in a couple of months. Time goes by so fast.. Sending many hug and gentle Belly rubs for Buddy

8. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    Well Buddy has had some improvement already, being on the pain meds and steroids. He can now walk without looking like Bambi on ice and he is more alert. This is super news. The vet was ecstatic when I told her. She told me that his blood work came back fine, although his liver values are still above normal. The good thing is that his liver values are down from where they were before we started the Denamarin (milk thistle). We are cautiously hopeful that within 5 days, Buddy will have made significant improvements and we can begin to wean him back off the steroids and pain meds to see if he can get over whatever it is that has been keeping him from enjoying life. Thanks again for your prayers and love and support.

pawbaby likes this.
  9. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    I absolutely L-O-V-E good news. Prayers answered.

pawbaby and KippersMa like this.
  10. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    Me too! Good news is the best. I'm starting the weekend with a smile now. Keep Up the Good work, Buddy.:flower::blowkiss:

pawbaby, grandmatoall and KippersMa like this.
  11. Candy

Poo:
    Poo:
    That is great Susan, i am so happy for you and Buddy ! :hugs:

12. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    Susan, I'm so sorry to hear about Buddy and his poor health recently. My heart is breaking for you because I know how much you love him. I remember seeing videos of how gentle he was playing with the little Yorkies. He's got such a gentle spirit and is such a loving boy.

I was also glad to read your update that he's responded so quickly to the steroids. I hope that this improvement is long lasting and that he continues to feel better, and finds more enjoyment in life like he used to. I'll be keeping your sweet Buddy in my thoughts and prayers. It's so sad when our babies get older and their health goes. We love them so much and I only wish we could keep them with us forever.

KippersMa, LynnR and grandmatoall like this.
  13. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    Today was Buddy's best in the last two weeks! He even played with the babies! He hasn't slept much today, either and his eyes have that gleeful look when he is happy. We are so very pleased. I even gave him a bath today, after not giving him one for almost three weeks because it is so stressful for him. He did well. Everyone got bathed (yes, me, too!) today and their flea meds.

pawbaby and grandmatoall like this.
  14. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    You crack me up Susan. I had my bath too. :roflma: I love your sense of humor. And I love that Buddy is doing so much better.

15. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    I am also so glad that Buddy is doing so well. Today is bath day for my Molly. I gave Patti a bath last Friday after Ruth left.
    Patti is my only Yorkie with long hair so I have to bath her more often. I put her in a crate after the bath and place her by the Electric Fireplace in my living room to keep her warm - she dries in no time. Molly is no problem to bath either, she is such a sweetie and she always seems so comfortable after her bath.

16. Candy

Poo:
    Poo:
    That is wonderful Buddy is feeling so much better with his meds and he is acting like his own self. Must be a lot less stressful for you

17. pawbaby

pawbaby Moderator

Poo:
    Poo:
    So happy to hear that Buddy is doing so much better. That's so sweet that he was playing with the babies! I sure know what you mean about having a bath too. I always end up soaking wet after bathing my four girls and need to change afterwards!

grandmatoall, KippersMa and LynnR like this.
  18. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    Me too. Plus, covered in hair after trimming them. LOL.

KippersMa likes this.
  19. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    Today is even better for our Buddy. He is very responsive and even wagged his little stump tail when I gave him a gentle massage. We are super encouraged. I will report to the vet tomorrow, and see what the long range plan is. For sure, it is not time to cross over to Rainbow Bridge for our precious Buddy!
    Oh yes, I do get so wet when I am bathing my puppies. Buddy is kind of big for the laundry tub and just trying to get him in and out of it takes some doing for me when it is time to get him out. By the time I get the girls' hair combed out and braided, and give the boys a fluff, I am usually close to being dry. And how I love the smell of clean puppies!!! They get so excited and race around the room, rubbing on the couch and recliners and area rug to get the clean smell off! It is so hilarious. They become very playful! Then, they all sit as close to the propane stove as they can to get warm and dry. It doesn't take long, especially as I am combing them.

grandmatoall likes this.
  20. Candy

Poo:
    Poo:
    Mine do the same thing and it is real funny to watch, but don't know how you do it with that many...

grandmatoall and KippersMa like this.