Home made hand santizer that works

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I made some hand sanitizer this morning and it was easy.

Recipe
1/2 cup Pure Aloe Vera Gel
1 cup Isopropyl Alcohol 91% (or higher)
15 drops of Eucalyptus Oil or another antibacterial essential oil.

I mixed it in a measuring cup and tried stirring it but it didn't mix very fast. So I put it in a bottle and shook it really hard. It worked fabulously. After sitting all day, it still hasn't separated. It looks and smells great. I like it better than the one I use in my craft room for cleaning stamps.

They say that mint essential oil also has antibacterial properties. I wasn't sure so I used Eucalyptus. It was the most recommended. I want to give the mint a try after I do more research.

I don't know how it is in your area, but hand sanitizer is very hard to find here. People are hoarding it. So far, we do not have the virus in Idaho.... but it's just a matter of time. The flu has been going around and I haven't gotten it. (PTL) I have stepped up my hand washing and use of hand sanitizer. When at the Rec Center, I carry a little bottle of disinfecting sanitizer and spray each machine before and after I use it. It has helped so far this year.

Reactions: LynnR

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
We are staying healthy. We don't go to crowded venues, either. Never have enjoyed that much. Seems like the virus is largely south of us, around Disney World and popular beach areas in Tampa. I did hear that they had two cases in the county right next to ours, so we are careful when we go to the store to get groceries. Last time we went, the shelves were nearly empty! How ridiculous. Thankfully, we were able to get what we needed and using the hand santitizer provided at the store, as well as our own that we brought with us, we kept any exposure to other germs to a minimum. We do not get flu shots. The only time my husband was required to get one while he was in the Navy, nearly killed him. They told him to never get one again. I'm not sure what was in that particular flu shot that he had such a terrible reaction, but he doesn't want to try it ever again.
I do pray that you all stay healthy and well. Being where we are, with the heat and humidity, this virus shouldn't last long. Maybe we can be thankful that things are a bit warmer than usual?

• Love
Reactions: grandmatoall

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Have to go shopping today and not looking forward to it !
Thank you Bobbi, will try it as I don't think I can find any sanitizer or Toilet Paper

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
We are staying healthy. We don't go to crowded venues, either. Never have enjoyed that much. Seems like the virus is largely south of us, around Disney World and popular beach areas in Tampa. I did hear that they had two cases in the county right next to ours, so we are careful when we go to the store to get groceries. Last time we went, the shelves were nearly empty! How ridiculous. Thankfully, we were able to get what we needed and using the hand santitizer provided at the store, as well as our own that we brought with us, we kept any exposure to other germs to a minimum. We do not get flu shots. The only time my husband was required to get one while he was in the Navy, nearly killed him. They told him to never get one again. I'm not sure what was in that particular flu shot that he had such a terrible reaction, but he doesn't want to try it ever again.
I do pray that you all stay healthy and well. Being where we are, with the heat and humidity, this virus shouldn't last long. Maybe we can be thankful that things are a bit warmer than usual?
I am glad you were able to find what you needed at the store. The same rush on certain items is going on here too.

Almost every day, we are told in the news or on line, to get everything they will need for 2 weeks or more. It is no wonder shelves are empty everywhere you go. It is the same way here... maybe not as much yet as it will be when the virus hits Idaho. So far, we don't have any cases that we know of. But it is coming. It is inevitable.

The flu shots used to contain live viruses. From what I've been told, they don't now. With his reaction to his first one, I don't blame him for not getting any more shots.

As always, I send my love and prayers to all of you. Stay safe my friends. Hugs and much love.

• Love
Reactions: KippersMa

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
What gets me is: what the heck are people doing with all that Toilet paper ???You would think this Flu causes the :poop:haha...Not one single sheet anywhere at our Costco...Stay healthy Everyone

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
What gets me is: what the heck are people doing with all that Toilet paper ???You would think this Flu causes the :poop:haha...Not one single sheet anywhere at our Costco...Stay healthy Everyone
Actually, this Covid 19 does cause diarrhea in most cases, as well as a lower respiratory infection. Very dangerous for those of us in the elder group. Last night, we saw a woman leaving with an entire cart full of toilet paper! I had to laugh. If you have to wipe that much, you are better off using a squirt bottle to wash off, since your bottom will be very sore!! Ha ha!
My sister is an RN in Snohomish County and works through the Everett Providence Hospital, where one of the first Covid 19 patients recovered. They used a robot to treat the person. She says Everett is like a ghost town now. Traffic is almost non existent and all the schools are closed for the next 6 weeks. Her nursing convention was canceled. Our business is located in Snohomish County and our son says there are quite a few employees who have called in sick (or are they scared?). The impact this will have on businesses will be enormous. This particular area has been hit pretty hard with the virus. It has been cold, wet and miserable all winter there. Let's all pray that the sun comes out and cooks away this nasty virus and that we all stay healthy!!!

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
We don't have it yet but toilet paper and paper towels, hand sanitizer, bleach, etc are very hard to find. I don't think that is going to be any better until things warm up and this virus dissipates.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
I was able to find toilet paper today for Rachel. Her Walmart and Publix both closed due to empty store shelves. I noticed that our little Dollar General did run out of big bottles of bleach. Good thing I bought one gallon when I was in there on Saturday. I use it to sanitize the puppy pads. I needed some coffee creamer, the toilet paper, and bought some canned tuna because it was on sale. I also noticed that all the cold and flu products were gone. We don't need any of those, since we have some already. I always keep it on hand because if you do get sick, you sure don't feel like going to the store for anything! I believe this buying frenzy will stop and the stores have committed to bringing in more stock very soon. If you can hold on a bit longer, the shelves will soon be full again.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I've made some hand sanitizer, thanks Bobbi. I was told by a store attendant to get Baby wipes if there are no hand sanitizers.
Baby wipes are getting hard to find here, at times. My granddaughter, Shay, has a daycare. They use a lot of them.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Still have not left the house yet other than sitting outside for a bit. Neighbors down the road are burning and smoke getting to me.. stay safe my Friends !
I love the smell of wood smoke from a fireplace. Unfortunately, it bothers me too.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
We are having temps in the upper 80s, so no need for fires here. There is a burn ban because we have not had any rain (typical for Florida winters, we heard). My adult children with babies are having a terrible time finding wipes for their babies. Thankfully, they having washing machines and can do it the old fashioned way that I used for all of my babies--a washcloth! Ha ha

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
We are having temps in the upper 80s, so no need for fires here. There is a burn ban because we have not had any rain (typical for Florida winters, we heard). My adult children with babies are having a terrible time finding wipes for their babies. Thankfully, they having washing machines and can do it the old fashioned way that I used for all of my babies--a washcloth! Ha ha

Wash cloths and cloth diapers. That is how it was done. LOL