Health and Dental Checks

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
We discovered that in our particular county in Florida, the pets must have a rabies tag specific for this area! And it must be renewed each year, even though they don't get a vaccine each year. Silly rule, if you ask me.. Why don't they just call it a pet license? Anyway, we had to have all our dogs physically examined, even though we had just had that done in Washington and they were given health certificates.
JinJu had her teeth cleaned and lost another 6 teeth. She has no front teeth now and is missing some of her back ones, as well. She still has her canines and you would never know she is missing any teeth because she gobbles her food down just as fast. She had her second Lepto vaccine with no bad effects. I am so relieved!
Kipper had two tiny teeth pulled that the vet felt were baby teeth. He did extremely well and was treated for an ear infection that has probably been going on for quite some time, without me even knowing it. All of a sudden, he is eating much better and making me think that it might have been the reason why he wouldn't eat much--his ear hurt when he chewed? He is still the "sheriff of the family!" Ha ha!
Mozart ended up having 6 teeth pulled and also has no front teeth. He has been fighting a skin infection for months, if not years, so the vet put him on antibiotics for that for three weeks. His skin has finally cleared up!! He curls his lips when he sees me coming with the nasty antibiotic! Silly little man.
Omari, Lily, and Nabi all had good checks, although Lily had a minor yeast count in one ear. They all got Lepto vaccines so they will soon be able to run around our property without me worrying about them picking that up from all the wildlife that runs through here. We must have hundreds of squirrels and we see deer tracks in the sand every single day! They are going back to the vet tomorrow and Monday to get their last Lepto. None of them have had a bad reaction to it.
Thankfully, we haven't had any more issues with ticks! We sprayed beneficial nematodes that eat ticks on our grounds and they must be doing their job! Hooray! They were sure bad when we first came.

Reactions: LynnR

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I was wondering what precautions you were going to have to take in Florida. As it differs from Washington. I hadn't thought you could spray nematodes to counteract ticks. With all of your wildlife and no winter to freeze out the bugs I know you have to plan ahead. It sounds like you found a great vet. Good for you.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Today was the finale at the vet--at least for a year, I hope! Nabi, Omari, and Lily got their last Lepto vaccine. The vet and staff were so impressed with how well behaved the puppies were when I brought in all six this time. Mozart was the only one who barked a bit at a little dog that came in for her shots. I asked him to be quiet and he minded me! Even I was surprised, because Mozart can really get going when he starts barking at something. It made me happy that my babies were good for me in front of others.
You are right about it being to warm here to kill off any bugs. The vet told me that Lepto is especially bad in this area because of the wildlife being so plentiful. I can believe it! We bought three bug zappers to help deter mosquitoes and it seems to have helped a lot! I haven't seen any cock roaches, but have seen a couple of water bugs (they look almost like cockroaches). We have lovely, lovely butterflies of all colors and sizes here. They are attracted to the azaleas, jasmine, impatiens, roses and other flowers that are blooming right now.

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Can you insist on a Titter test ? I have this link somewhere where this guy will fight for you, when i get a chance i will look for it.
Maggie shout a little Tarter on her canines...she is going in this morning for her second round of shots,Lepto, Kennel Cough and Heartworm Test as her Records show she did'n have Meds for Heartworm 3 month prior before she came here from Texas so my Vet wants to make sure. I think i will but her on reg. Flea/Tick meds as i skip during the Winter. Least i never had problems with my other two. They did have once couple of Ticks though when i missed.

Reactions: grandmatoall

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Can you insist on a Titter test ? I have this link somewhere where this guy will fight for you, when i get a chance i will look for it.
Maggie shout a little Tarter on her canines...she is going in this morning for her second round of shots,Lepto, Kennel Cough and Heartworm Test as her Records show she did'n have Meds for Heartworm 3 month prior before she came here from Texas so my Vet wants to make sure. I think i will but her on reg. Flea/Tick meds as i skip during the Winter. Least i never had problems with my other two. They did have once couple of Ticks though when i missed.
I won't need a titer test, as they are not insisting that I get more vaccines than normal. They don't give them vaccines every year except for Lepto. I do not get the Kennel Cough vaccine, since I do not leave my dogs for grooming or boarding and now I don't let them drink out of a community water bowl where another ill dog might have had a drink. We bring water for ourselves and our dogs wherever we go. It is especially important here because of the heat. It doesn't take long to get dehydrated! I used to drink what I thought was a lot, but down here, I am finding I have to drink even more!!

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Have you encountered any alligators yet? I remember you saying there aren't any in your area. How about the birds? I like that you have a covered area for your babies to run around in when they aren't right with you. And all those lovely flowers and butterflies. I am happy you found such a beautiful place.

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Susan do your Babies really sore and a little on the listless side ? I accidentally hurt Maggie when i tried putting a shirt on her as she was cold, now she is scared to death of me. She is always such a happy girl in the mornings and so lovey, this morning she is not. This morning i hardly could get her outside to Potty then instead of going to our room she played on her Food/Water Mat, so i picked her u and put her in her Bed and covered her up. I feel so bad as she looked at me like she wanted to say: are you going to hurt me ?

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Candy, She may have pulled a muscle and she may be extra tender. Lots of love and extra babying may be in order. Hugs to both of you.

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Called Vet and she gave me a few Tramadol,but i never had to use them. Ian Babying her a bit ! She seems to be fine now.
She loves the outdoor, specially in the snow, i have to chase her down and bring her in and put her in a Blanket to warm her up. Then she wants out again, won't let her and she barks like crazy and boy does she have a voice haha.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
I am sorry to have delayed answering. Things get busy here with the sun out and so many exciting things to do! Ha ha! We have not seen any alligators here near us, but we did see some on an adventure down Daytona Beach area and on our way to Cape Canaveral. As for birds!!! Oh my, there is every variety you can imagine. Many wild turkeys, turkey vultures (they keep the roads clear of carcasses), and the most lovely variety of songbirds!! I would love to be able to identify more of them. One bird sounds like it is singing, "Rachel, Rachel!" We have yet to identify that one. We have seen red cardinals, blue birds, robins, sandhill cranes, pelicans, storks, egrets of all sizes and colors, spoonbills that look like flamingos, and red headed woodpeckers.
As for the puppies getting their Lepto vaccines: they all did super well. A couple of them have a little soft lump at the injection site, which the vet warned me they may get. I feel so relieved to know they are all Florida safe as far as vaccines and flea/tick/heartworm control. I am getting those all through Chewy.com, as the savings is valuable to me with so many to get at one time and every month!
We are working with the dogs to all go outside to do most of their potty business. It is working out very well! Today, we had the sprinklers on because it is close to 90 and we have a lot of new flowers and things blooming. All of the dogs not only didn't care that the sprinklers got them wet, they actually played under them! It was delightful to watch. Smart babies! I should have joined them! They are getting a lot more exercise and actually don't want to stay outside too long when it is so hot. The tortoise, on the other hand, stretches her legs out and tries to soak up as much sun as she can!! She is getting huge!!

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I would love to have been there to watch the babies run thru the sprinklers. 90* already? That is unreal. Our high's are in the 40's right now.... with nights in the teens and twenty's. As long as the wind isn't blowing, it is quite lovely. I use a light jacket. If the cold wind blows, I need a heavier one.

Do any of your birds bother your tortoise?

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Tramadol is what they are giving me for my back. But it works well for my knee, too. I only take it when I can't stand the pain any more.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
I would love to have been there to watch the babies run thru the sprinklers. 90* already? That is unreal. Our high's are in the 40's right now.... with nights in the teens and twenty's. As long as the wind isn't blowing, it is quite lovely. I use a light jacket. If the cold wind blows, I need a heavier one.

Do any of your birds bother your tortoise?
We haven't had any problems with any birds in our area. The sandhill cranes fly overhead as they are on their way to a neighbor's pond, but other than the song birds and woodpeckers, we haven't seen any others. Down the road are where the turkey vultures live. They have plenty of roadkill to keep them happy and well fed.

• Love
Reactions: grandmatoall

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
We haven't had any problems with any birds in our area. The sandhill cranes fly overhead as they are on their way to a neighbor's pond, but other than the song birds and woodpeckers, we haven't seen any others. Down the road are where the turkey vultures live. They have plenty of roadkill to keep them happy and well fed.
I am glad the vultures are well fed! LOL. I can't imagine living with so many beautiful birds. You are very blessed. I am happy for you both.

Reactions: KippersMa