Hannah is in emergency surgery

Connie

Featured Seller
Oct 19, 2009
Minot, ND
Poor Hannah. She has been going downhill. Missy had her back to the vet yesterday and Dr. Vincent wasn't in, so she had to see this dufas doctor. Well, he said he thought Hannah was pregnant. Ridiculous. Hannah hadn't been fixed because she was small and I'm sure Missy thought she would do it when she could afford it, which didn't happen. Missy said there was no way this dog could be pregnant...that she is with them all the time. He had a couple other vets feel on her and they all agreed she was pregnant. Missy said, if she was pregnant, would she be spotting blood and falling over when she stands. They said, oh yes...definitely. I told Missy that is BS. I told her to call Dr. Pinkerton, our retired vet. He told her it sounds more like an infection to him and to call Dr. Vincent right away. Dr. Vincent said she was very concerned and to bring Hannah right up. We did and Dr. Vincent took her back for a blood test and did a quick ultrasound which showed, what she thought was infection, but the blood test would tell. She looked so shook. She called us back and showed us that the white blood cells were off the chart and Hannah needed surgery within the hour. She is having surgery right now. Please pray that she comes through this and will be healthy once again. I trust in the Lord that she will! Thanks everyone! It's been crazy around here with all this going on and then my BIL had a stroke on Thursday night. He was air evaced to MN and they found the reason and surgery is too risky, so hoping medications can work.

Connie

Featured Seller
Oct 19, 2009
Minot, ND
Hannah survived the surgery! PTL! Dr. Vincent was surprised at how quickly she came around. Stood up and wagged her little tail. She thought that it would take her some time because she was so sick. She couldn't believe the size and weight of the uterus and the infection has spread into Hannah's stomach so they flushed that with antibiotics and she thinks that is all taken care of. Missy is to call there at 4:30 and then we will hopefully go and get her. There is no staff there at night, so Missy said she wanted to bring her home and Dr. Vincent agreed as long as she will bring Hannah up in the morning. I am SO relieved! I sewed a couple of new beds for Hannah so she'll have something really soft to lay on. I also called the office manager and told her about the total misdiagnosis yesterday and asked if they could consider adjusting that and putting it towards todays bill. She is going to talk with the vet that saw Hannah and see what she could do. Good grief...pregnant? Missy kept telling them there was no way, but he got that in his head and couldn't think beyond that. Poor little Hannah. He had her back trying to get a decent x-ray for an hour or more. Think of how hard that was on Hannah. I'm so upset with that poor excuse of a vet, but thankful Hannah is on the mend!

pawbaby

Aug 29, 2008
Oh gosh Connie, I'm just seeing your thread on Hannah now. I'm so happy to hear she came through the surgery alright but you're right, for the vet to think she's pregnant is ridiculous. No wonder you all have no faith in this vet. I hope and will pray for Hannah that she has a full recovery from the surgery and that she will be able to fight off the infection as well.

Poor little girl has been through so much. I so wish you had your old vet back, I'm sure things would have been so much easier had he been there to diagnosis Hannah from the onset.

I'm also so very sorry to hear about your brother in law. You've had way to much stress in your family lately. I sure hope that his symptoms can be controlled with medication and that his condition will remain stable.

Sending you love and hugs too. xxoo :blowkiss: :hugs:

Connie

Featured Seller
Oct 19, 2009
Minot, ND
Thank you, Cory...you sweetheart! Little Hannah is home! She is doing so well that Dr. Vincent says she doesn't even need to come back tomorrow after all. When we got her home, we put her on the pee pad in case she had to go potty and she stood there and wagged her tail. I do think that she will be fine. She is on antibiotics and pain meds. I told her not to scare us anymore. That's two miracles with Hannah now. I told her, "don't go for a third!"

So, the clinic is not taking any off of the charges from yesterday. I think that is so ridiculous and I'm quite upset, but since Hannah is doing well now, I won't dwell on that. What a joke. Dr. Vincent said she wished she'd been in the clinic yesterday. She felt so bad for Hannah. I love Dr. Pinkerton, but also love Dr. Vincent. She is so caring. When she took Hannah back for her blood test and ultrasound, she was kissing Hannah's head. I want to get her something as a thank you for saving Hannah's life. Maybe flowers or Shari's Berries. I just feel I have to do something!

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I am just seeing this. I am glad Hannah is doing so well. I am also very happy Dr Vincent was able to save her. What a week you have had.

Sorry about your BIL. Praying he does well.

pawbaby

Aug 29, 2008
Thank you, Cory...you sweetheart! Little Hannah is home! She is doing so well that Dr. Vincent says she doesn't even need to come back tomorrow after all. When we got her home, we put her on the pee pad in case she had to go potty and she stood there and wagged her tail. I do think that she will be fine. She is on antibiotics and pain meds. I told her not to scare us anymore. That's two miracles with Hannah now. I told her, "don't go for a third!"

So, the clinic is not taking any off of the charges from yesterday. I think that is so ridiculous and I'm quite upset, but since Hannah is doing well now, I won't dwell on that. What a joke. Dr. Vincent said she wished she'd been in the clinic yesterday. She felt so bad for Hannah. I love Dr. Pinkerton, but also love Dr. Vincent. She is so caring. When she took Hannah back for her blood test and ultrasound, she was kissing Hannah's head. I want to get her something as a thank you for saving Hannah's life. Maybe flowers or Shari's Berries. I just feel I have to do something!
Connie, I'm so happy that Hannah is home and doing well and even wagging her tail. What a little sweetheart! I'm glad you like Dr. Vincent and that she seems caring. That's so nice of you to want to give her a gift. I couldn't remember what the other vet's name was that you don't like but see you only called him the the "Dufus" vet. I had a good laugh about that, Dr. "Dufas". lol You always have a funny way with words.

Seriously though I sure hope Hannah has a good night, restful sleep and heals up quickly from all of this. I wonder if her time out in the cold affected her immune system to bring on this severe infection? It just seems strange all of this happened so close to her exposure in the cold with all of that stress and I wondered about that?

Connie

Featured Seller
Oct 19, 2009
Minot, ND
Connie, I'm so happy that Hannah is home and doing well and even wagging her tail. What a little sweetheart! I'm glad you like Dr. Vincent and that she seems caring. That's so nice of you to want to give her a gift. I couldn't remember what the other vet's name was that you don't like but see you only called him the the "Dufus" vet. I had a good laugh about that, Dr. "Dufas". lol You always have a funny way with words.

Seriously though I sure hope Hannah has a good night, restful sleep and heals up quickly from all of this. I wonder if her time out in the cold affected her immune system to bring on this severe infection? It just seems strange all of this happened so close to her exposure in the cold with all of that stress and I wondered about that?

Hey Cory...that dufas vet's real name is Solemsaas...something like that...pronounced sole-em-sauce. I think Dufas is quite similar. hahaha

Hannah is doing okay. Missy was concerned because she doesn't want to walk, but it's only been hours since the surgery and I told her not to worry about that. She actually ate a little, but Melissa is also worried that she hasn't peed, but I imagine that will happen with time. I guess we all worry about our babies, just like she is doing. I really think she will be okay...look what she's come through in the past couple of weeks.

Cory...I do think her being outside for so long in that horrid cold played a part in all of this. It probably sent her immune system on a downhill spiral. I'm just so thankful she made it through another scare! I'll keep you updated! Thanks for your prayers!

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Good grief Connie, just now seeing this, that poor little girl, i agree wth Cory that it had something to do with her being out in the bitter cold...plus i would be very mad at those Doctors , she could of died...glad to hear she came out of surgery ok, lets the healing begin. Sending many hugs and prayers my Friend !!

LynnR

Lynn, Benji, Calleigh, Maggie
Oct 13, 2009
Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
I'm just seeing this too, Connie. I am so sorry for all the stress you have been having lately. I am also glad that little Hannah is on the mend. Some Vets just shouldn't be practicing - can you report this idiot? I guess I would and I wouldn't let it drop. He wasted precious time when Hannah could have been treated and taken care of sooner. The poor little sweetie has been through so much.

Connie

Featured Seller
Oct 19, 2009
Minot, ND
Thank you everyone. Hannah is not bouncing back as quickly as we had hoped, but we've got to remember that she was so sick going into surgery that it will take her a little longer. At least she is alive and on the mend! So thankful for that!

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Gosh Connie i sure hope little Hannah will be ok, she has been through so much poor Baby. Please let us know how she is doing Connie

pawbaby

Aug 29, 2008
Thank you everyone. Hannah is not bouncing back as quickly as we had hoped, but we've got to remember that she was so sick going into surgery that it will take her a little longer. At least she is alive and on the mend! So thankful for that!
I was thinking about little Hannah and the length of time she was exposed to the cold. It's almost like the vet's should have anticipated something could happen and maybe place her on prophylactic antiobiotics to prevent any possible infections. By not being proactive, she got sick and they should have expected that.

I think Hannah has been through allot in a short span of time and it will take her awhile to get over it. It's good that Melissa is watching her so closely though. She could be dehydrated after the surgery and therefore not peeing? I'll be the surgery, the anesthetic, antibiotics and her ordeal is really making her tired, that's probably why she doesn't want to walk around much.

Praying she gets better day by day now. She's such a little sweetheart. Connie, I can't remember how old you said Hannah is?

Hopesmom

Jan 10, 2016
PA
www.jenniferkellylegacy.com
I'm just now seeing this and feel so badly for you and all Hanna had to go through. I would be very upset with Dr. "Rufus" too and would be fighting those charges. Maybe the vet you love could help back you up. So thankful she came through the surgery ok. What a scare.

Connie

Featured Seller
Oct 19, 2009
Minot, ND
Thanks again, one and all, for your sweet messages and prayers. I talked with Melissa this morning and she thinks Hannah seems better. I am hoping she keeps seeing improvements throughout the day. One thing really strange...and this Melissa noticed before the surgery too, is that her bark has changed. It's like really quiet compared to what she used to do. It's probably that she was so weak and doesn't have enough strength to do the usual bark?

pawbaby

Aug 29, 2008
Thanks again, one and all, for your sweet messages and prayers. I talked with Melissa this morning and she thinks Hannah seems better. I am hoping she keeps seeing improvements throughout the day. One thing really strange...and this Melissa noticed before the surgery too, is that her bark has changed. It's like really quiet compared to what she used to do. It's probably that she was so weak and doesn't have enough strength to do the usual bark?
I'm so happy to hear that Hannah is doing better Connie. What a darling little girl. I'm sure she must be weak after going through all of this and also her trachea could still be inflamed a bit from when she was intubated during the surgery. It's like when adults get a sore throat after surgery from the Endotracheal tube for a few days. I'm sure this will get better in the days ahead.

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Glad to hear that little Hannah is feeling a wee bit better, and i will pray that she will feel better each day...she is prob still weak from her outside ordeal then right into the surgery...poor baby needs a break !