Celiac disease

Discussion in 'Sick,Injured,Emergency' started by cathy.akers, May 12, 2018.

1. cathy.akers

cathy.akers Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Has anyone ever had or heard of yorkies getting leaky gut, aka celiac disease? I have a 3 year old, and I know teacup isn't the proper term, yorkie who started having gas iss.issues a week ago last Wednesday. Then came the really foul smelling diarrhea, no appetite and lethargic. I took her to the vet Sunday. Ran fecal test and it was clear. 2 xrays, nothing there. No fever and not dehydrated. Put her on imodal, an antibiotic, and something to restore her gut balance. The diet he told me to give her was rice with egg and cut cheese. Tuesday she seemed to be getting better, wanting to eat and the stools were formed but soft. Thursday things were bad again and I took her back Friday. Did blood work , she was critically low on calcium, and her wbc, rbc, albumin and a couple of other things were out of whack. Neither the vet nor i had an explanation or idea of what was going on and why. Updated him this morning and by this time I'm getting scared. Picked up more immodal and bought a high quality pre and probiotic with natural enzymes. After i got home and started looking at the meds again it hit me that the immodal should have stopped the diarrhea so why didn't it ? What besides the antibiotic that can cause diarrhea was working against it,? That's when it hit me, and I looked up gluten issues. It met every one of her symptoms. Its the only thing that did, and I had been feeding her rice and cottage cheese all week. I made immediate changes. No more of the rice mixture. Taking her off the dry kibble for the time being, got a can of food with no byproducts, or grains. Adding the pre and probiotic enzymes to it , taking her off every med except the calcium pills and immodal, and no more dairy. No grains or pastas unless it's gluten free. She's still not waiting to eat so I'm going to get her lean meat of some kind so she is getting food in her system. I am hoping to see a big change in her in 24 to 48 hours. Once i am positive my diagnosis was right then I'll let her vet know. Was just curious to know if anyone else has been through this.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. grandmatoall

grandmatoall Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy. RIP Leo, TJ and Lilly

Poo:
    Poo:
    I hope Susan , Lynn and Candy read this, they are very knowledgeable. They have several Yorkies with different health issues. Please keep us posted on what you find out. I am very interested.

cathy.akers likes this.
  3. cathy.akers

cathy.akers Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    I definitely will. I have posted this question on other blogs hoping to connect with someone who can enlighten me. It's been a very long, sleep deprived, scary week. My gut has rarely ever been wrong about something. Let's hope this isn't one of those rare cases because we will probably have to take het to Columbia for special testing, and it's expensive.

grandmatoall likes this.
  4. LynnR

LynnR Lynn, Calleigh, Maggie &Molly, Patti

Poo:
    Poo:
    My Patti had similar symptoms and I went back and forth to the Vet, several months, it was awful, Patti was miserable. In the end I ended up (recommended by the Vet) putting Patti on "Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal food, low fat" Patti now has no more problems, the food solved everything and she loves it. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to try it.

grandmatoall and cathy.akers like this.
  5. cathy.akers

cathy.akers Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    I thought I had figured it out yesterday when I realized that she had been on lomotil (basically immodium) and it wasn't stopping the diarrhea. Did a little reading to try and figure out what would prevent it from doing it's job , or working against it and i came across leaky gut syndrome, or celiac. I had been feeding her brown rice with eggs and cottage cheese, so possible lactose intolerance. I bought a good pre and probiotic with digestive enzymes at the health food store, and a can of food that doesn't have any byproducts, gluten, grains, all the stuff she doesn't need. But, as has been the case, she walked away from it. So I tried the wet food that is part cooked and part raw organic everything I have been ordering from peter at top dog dinners since last July which she loves. Nope. Nothing doing. I finally fixed het some chicken which she did eat , but it was maybe a quarter cup. So far this morning, no luck getting her to eat and she had a very watery stool last night that still has an odor to it. I'm getting ready to message the vet with an update and question about the lomotil not working and why? She didn't sleep well at all. She couldn't get comfortable for more than a few minutes and then she would switch to another position. There's certain kinds of diarrhea that the lomotil won't work for and can actually make it worse, and I am now wondering if she isn't having a reaction to mold, or mycotoxins. If im not watching her she gets under the deck where it stays moist . God only knows what is growing under there.

grandmatoall likes this.
  6. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    If I go off the food that I'm now giving to Patti, she has the same symptoms that your baby has. It took me two years to solve this problem.

Here's a link: http://www.royalcanin.ca/products/c...STROINTESTINAL-LOW-FAT-canned-dog-food/223026

7. cathy.akers

cathy.akers Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    I just have an issue with anything that has byproducts, and things that go against everything we have learned about over the last few years like corn. That and it was a brand new bah of taste of the wild that made my yorkie sick enough to get pancreatitis, which put him in the hands of a vet i shouldn't have trusted to do everything possible like i told him and he died of organ failure overnight while he was left alone.

grandmatoall likes this.
  8. LynnR

Poo:
    Poo:
    Before this, Patti was on Raw food. She nearly died. I tried everything - so if this is working, I'm staying with it.

cathy.akers and grandmatoall like this.
  9. Candy

Candy Owner/Admin Staff Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Sounds like just what my Apollo has, a Friend here all has a Yorkie who has this, hopefully you will understand and ask if that is what she has. His poop stunk really bad too and even pooped Blood. He is on Budesonite and Antibiotics.we been fighting this for like 2-3 yrs. but he is 12. I had to put my little Love down a month ago and a couple days before she went to Rainbow Bridge i found out she was leaking Protein also, but she had other problems like Diabetes and a possible Brain Tumor which caused her to have seizures...the leakage could be controlled, but with the meds Apollo was on it would have been hard to control her Diabetes. The night before she was horrible and i could not let her suffer and let her go..left me broken hearted..she was 13
    ok read this :
    Hi Candy, I did understand the report but do hope that your vet explained all of this in more simple terms for you. They sure did a thorough ultrasound of all of the vital organs which is good. From what I can see, they said that his albumin (protein) and cholesterol levels were low. His CBC (complete blood count) showed mild elevated neutrophils and eosinophilia which I feel is likely due to the inflammation and infection he has had over the last while with his intestines. Elevated eosinophils can also be seen with allergic responses. His fecal samples were negative for Giardia which is good. The SNAP test was negative which is done to rule out pancreatitis. Based on the results it looks like the diagnoses could be Lymphangietasia, and/or inflammatory bowel disease, given the low cholesterol blood level. Could also be due to food allergies given the eosinophilia ( elevated cell count). They also noted that the adrenal glands were mildly enlarged and were questioning Stage 1 Renal ( kidney) disease, diabetes, or Cushings disease ( elevated adrenal gland hormones) as a possibility. The liver enlargement was noted and mottling of the pancreas which looked like fibrosis possibly due to chronic pancreatitis. There was several nodules noted near the spleen and pancreas but they felt they were benign ( not cancer) so that's good. They also noted that there were small uroliths in the bladder which are tiny stones.

They recommended an endoscopy for intestinal biopsies but if this isn't possible then a diet of home cooked low fat and novel protein diet that won't promote oxalate stone formation in the bladder. They suggested that a pet nutritionist should be consulted since there are several conditions that need to be considered with the diet. They also noted that Apollo will have to be watched to make sure his calcium and Vitamin D levels don't drop with his condition and diet.

They also recommended that the course of his drug enrofloxacin should be completed even though his stools have been normal and if he gets diarrhea again then to consider a course of tylosin, or metronidazole . His Albumin should be monitored two weeks after initiation of his new diet and if not improving then consider budesonide therapy to limit the systemic effects of possible glucocorticoids but that's only if hyperadrenocortisism is present (Cushing's disease). The main treatment at this time should be geared towards normalizing the Albumin ( protein) levels. They suggest watching for any signs of symptoms of Cushing's disease but don't feel this needs treatment at this time.

Candy, I hope this makes a bit more sense to you now. I also hope your eyes are feeling better today. Please let us know what your vet explained to you about this report though okay?

10. cathy.akers

cathy.akers Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Wow, and I thought we had it rough.

grandmatoall likes this.
  11. cathy.akers

cathy.akers Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    What had made it hard to find the culprit is her symptoms. There has been nothing that you can just go down the line and check off all the boxes. So we have been trying to treat for the issues she has, which isn't working either. It's been a long process of discovery and elimination. I talked to dr Reid this afternoon and told him the steps im taking to remove the toxins from her system carefully d
    So I don't send it into shock and rebuild it from the ground up so to speak, and work on getting her appetite up. So, I am taking the pre and probiotic with digestive enzymes, the calcium pills, the enteric pills, and the detox and grinding them up into a powder, then adding either goat's milk or bone juice and making a slurry that I'll mix with either the tripe , the lamb or beeg i got at a store that only sells meat that is void of hormones and antibiotics. He gave me the proper dosage of human grade immodium to give her 2 to 3 times a day. He said the immodal he has used for years has never failed to stop diarrhea in 2 to 3 days. I told him that i believe she either inhaled through her nose or ingested something fungal like mold, aspergillus, or a mycotoxins which set up shop and spread everywhere. He was skeptical but there were some other things that i remembered that have happened in the last 2 months or so that i blew off, like places on het head where the hair was thinning, the sneezing fits, and the gagging, not cougjng so much as one or two quick hack. Fungal infections cause hair to thin, and the other two issues. He said that he can test for fungi, if I'm certain thats what it is, and we talked about running 2 more blood panels. A full cbc, and I can't remember the other one. I have to go there tomorrow anyway , and my husband said to get them done. I'll call and tell doc in the morning and we will cover that base too. All I know is that her system has probably already started turning on itself and damaging vital tissues and organs. I just hope it's not too late to get it stopped, because i can't lose another one this soon with all the crap I've been through just in the last year.

grandmatoall likes this.
  12. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    Please keep us updated on her condition. Hugs and prayers coming you way.

LynnR and cathy.akers like this.
  13. cathy.akers

cathy.akers Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Will do.

LynnR likes this.
  14. KippersMa

KippersMa Well-Known Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    This just breaks my heart. I know a little of what you are going through. We lost our baby girl at just three years old to clostridium bacteria which caused hemorrhagic diarrhea and killed her in just 12 hours. Where she picked that up, we will never know. I had been feeding raw prior to that, although the company producing the raw meat assured me that their meat is treated to not allow clostridium to grow. Just so you know, rice does not have gluten in it. Our youngest daughter has autism spectrum disorder and is allergic to gluten. She can have rice, with no issues. I have a small yorkie with many allergies. He is allergic to both beef and chicken. My vet said those are the two meats most commonly found that dogs may develop allergies to and so we stick with lamb. I was feeding green lamb tripe to all my dogs as a food topper and discovered that this same little yorkie (Mozart) was beginning to break out again, all over his skin. I figured out that it was the grass in the tripe, because he is allergic to grass, as well! Tripe is the stomach and contents of a pasture animal. They eat grass. Since I have taken him off the tripe, his skin has cleared up. He only gets his lamb kibble with a little water on it and does great. I am surprised the vet recommended dairy products, since they can be notorious for causing diarrhea. There are other good choices for calcium that don't involve dairy products. Nevertheless, I am not a vet and surely do not want to contradict what advice you are being given if you trust this vet to be knowledgeable and skilled. My own vet suggested that I feed my babies boiled chicken to help them recover when they got sick from one thing or another and that always gives them diarrhea. I guess it goes to show that what works for one doesn't necessarily mean it will work for another. I pray that you will find the answer soon to what may be going on. Our babies are very precious to us!!

cathy.akers, grandmatoall and LynnR like this.
  15. cathy.akers

cathy.akers Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Something has to bend twist or break because I'm at my breaking point. I'm so sorry to hear about losing your baby. I can't lose her. She came into my life when I was ready to leave mine. She's the reason I'm above ground today. We have a really top notch teaching host in Columbia and if he doesn't have a plan in place tomorrow, I'm sure to load her up and drive like a bat out of hell to get her there and I won't leave until someone sees me.

LynnR and grandmatoall like this.
  16. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    I would do the same thing, Cathy. I pray that everything works out well for your little one and for you. It is inconceivable that they would allow your baby to continue in such a desperate situation without providing more support.

17. Candy

Candy Owner/Admin Staff Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    A full Blood Test should show what all her Levels are, ask them if Budesonide would help her and a round of Antibiotics. After about 3 days Apollo started feeling better.The only Drawback for him was that he always was hungry. He also was bloated a lot and his poop is soft but not runny.After Rosi's was gone (5 weeks ago) he was pretty depressed he started again pooping blood, i took him in for another Blood Test (small one) and several things where off and it could of been from loosing Rosi. Vet put him on 2 different Antibiotics and 2nd day he pooped normal again, he had also a Bladder infection and his white Blood cells where low. She said could be cause of Stress or infection. Thursday he goes in for another Blood Test to see if some stuff is gone.
    Your Baby (whats her Name ?) Will pray that your Baby will be ok, if you not happy with your Vet it may not hurt to get a 2nd Opinion. Hope you get some answers and make her get well again :hugs::prayer:

LynnR, cathy.akers and grandmatoall like this.
  18. cathy.akers

cathy.akers Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    This is day 14 and it continues. Another trip to my vet she had some episodes of being weak in her legs. Falling down and not being able to stand up. Went to vet Monday and he gave me prednisolone. I asked for an explanation for the episodes and he said i don't know unless I run a panel. I just stared at him and said ok. And nothing. Im trying to find someone who has seen this before in Springfield but good God it's going to take forever and I don't have the time.

LynnR likes this.
  19. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    Our old mini schnauzer could no longer stand and was shaking really bad and was also put on prednisone and gabapentin. He is now off the prednisone (it causes elevated liver values and he already had elevated liver values) but remains on the gabapentin with wonderful results. Gabapentin is a drug they use for nerve pain and seizures. We think our old Buddy had a stroke. Just the same, now that he is off the prednisone (had to be done very slowly), he can run and jump and acts like a puppy for brief periods of time. He is 14 years old, so we don't expect him to be high energy all the time. It seems to me that blood panels have already been done, so I am confused why the vet says he needs to run another panel. Mmmm. Something is strange here. I hope you find a reputable vet to help get to the bottom of this. I am really sad that Lucy continues to have issues. I will keep praying that you find a vet who will listen to you and help your sweet baby.

20. grandmatoall

Poo:
    Poo:
    I agree

LynnR likes this.