Adventures in Florida!

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Sounds like you having lots o
f fun :agree: may wanna wait a bit longer to come up here, like Lynn said Winter finally hit us. We had lots of snow and cold. Up in Seattle its even worse. Heard there is more coming, hope they are wrong...had enough already. It is almost all melted, Syl took me to Costco to stock up again as we where snowed in.:smow:
By the way WE MISSED You !

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Thank you for your kind comments. To answer Bobbi's questions, Rachel missed the audition because we both fell very ill at Christmas and it took us more than two weeks to recover. She is still planning to audition to get into the masters program at the University of Florida, but it will be next year. We decided this would be best, since she still has to move into and get settled in her new home. That will happen next month, if everything goes well. The first people who outbid the other family who wanted her house ended up backing out the day before closing! It was very upsetting, but the other family came back and so far, everything looks like it is going to happen. We are very thankful for that.
PleyEl, Rachel's border collie is the smartest dog ever! He just adores Rachel and he loves to chase the squirrels and keeps them treed! Ha ha! He is so immediately obedient and never tries to go out of the yard, even if other dogs bark at him and walk past. He has still not completely covered from being hit by that car a year ago, but all this exercise will be good for him. Considering that he had a broken back, it is amazing that he can walk and run and jump at all! The only issue now is that when he sleeps, poops come out. He is so distraught about that. We don't make a big deal about it. He can't help it.
The news about her beloved Erard is not so good. He is on his third family. It is heartbreaking because he was an excellent dog, as well. The people say he needs more room to run, but he never did that to begin with. He is not an active dog. They also say he looks sad all the time, but that is a striking feature of Newfoundlands overall. We hope he has finally found a forever home. He exceeds the size allowed to fly on a commercial airline and he hates the heat.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I am happy Rachel and PleyEl are doing so well. Your place is helping him with extra exercise and things he loves to chase. Will his night time problem ever stop? He is doing amazingly well with everything he went through. I sure hope Erard has finally found his forever home.

What kind of home is Rachel looking for? I hope things will work out on the sale of her home. I know she will get into University, She so very talented.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
I am happy Rachel and PleyEl are doing so well. Your place is helping him with extra exercise and things he loves to chase. Will his night time problem ever stop? He is doing amazingly well with everything he went through. I sure hope Erard has finally found his forever home.

What kind of home is Rachel looking for? I hope things will work out on the sale of her home. I know she will get into University, She so very talented.
Rachel has made an offer on a lovely 3,000+ sq ft home with cathedral ceilings and a separate building she plans to transform into a music studio on 10 acres. It is lovely, lovely. PleyEl will love it there in the open pastures and next to horses and cows. PleyEl rarely loses a poo poo these nights. Only if she feeds him late at night do they slip out.
The issue with Erard is heartbreaking, but apparently the single woman who has him now is familiar with the breed and just adores him. Let's pray that it is mutual for Erard to love her and to adjust well so that he doesn't need to be moved again. Rachel says the only way to handle it is not to think about it.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Rachel has made an offer on a lovely 3,000+ sq ft home with cathedral ceilings and a separate building she plans to transform into a music studio on 10 acres. It is lovely, lovely. PleyEl will love it there in the open pastures and next to horses and cows. PleyEl rarely loses a poo poo these nights. Only if she feeds him late at night do they slip out.
The issue with Erard is heartbreaking, but apparently the single woman who has him now is familiar with the breed and just adores him. Let's pray that it is mutual for Erard to love her and to adjust well so that he doesn't need to be moved again. Rachel says the only way to handle it is not to think about it.
It sounds like the perfect place for Rachel and PleyEl. To have a music studio set up just the way she wants it for herself and her students will be a bonus. I hope it comes through for her.

Reactions: LynnR

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Eleven days until Rachel's house sale is final and just a few days after that, she will begin moving into her new home. The people who are buying her place love it and all has gone smoothly this time. The woman selling her home to Rachel accepted a lower offer for her house (so Rachel can do some repairs--simple ones) and it will close after Rachel's house sale is final. We are busy preparing for our trip back to the Northwest to help our oldest daughter with her children as she prepares to deliver her 6th son, Jacob on March 18. We hope to be back home by the middle of April, driving our RV and Rachel's car to Florida. We will get to Washington/Oregon with my brother and his wife, who are hauling a trailer to pick up the last of our gardening things and other tools we left behind.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
You guys will have a lot to bring back. It is nice that your brother and his wife will be traveling with you. How fun for all of you. And you have another beautiful baby on the way.

Tell Rachel I am so happy for her. She did well with the sale of her old home and buying her new one. Way to go Rachel!

Reactions: KippersMa

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Hopefully our Winter Weather will go away. We had snow again and ice. Not as bad as last bout. Suppose to melt off today again.
So glad everything is going well for Rachel this time with the House sale !

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
We decided to leave a day early to make sure we would be able to handle any delays in travel. We leave tomorrow morning, 3/9/19. There isn't much I have to pack, since we left what we would need in the RV that is already up there. Granite Falls is still getting snow, but the weather forecast says that by the middle of the week when we plan to be there, it should be in the 50s! Hooray! It will still be a huge difference from our glorious 80 degree days and sunshine everyday, here.
The puppies have loved Rachel while she has been staying with us. Her house sale closes tomorrow but her new house deal fell through. The dear woman's husband died and unbeknownst to her, he had taken out mortgages on the property and even has a lien on it for unpaid bills. It will take a minimum of 45 days to see if it can be cleared up, but they are expecting it will take more than a year. She may not even really own the house due to the debt owed. Rachel will look for another home while we are in the Pacific Northwest. We plan to head back home on April 2, as long as our daughter gives birth to her baby boy two weeks earlier.
Ticks are a real problem here. The only downside of being here so far. I found three ticks in my hair and on my neck a couple of nights ago! Only one had imbedded (the one on my neck). We realized that the dogs or cat must be bringing them in and although they are on meds to keep them from biting them, we are not, so they love to feast on us! We don't want to use chemicals to kill the ticks because they would be harmful to our pets and to us. We will soon be letting our chickens out each day and they will help decrease the tick population! Almost everyone has chickens or guinea fowl for that reason.
Believe it or not, the 80 and 90 degree days are not that miserable! We are adjusting nicely to the warm weather and it sure feels better on old joints!! HA HA. Even the puppies love to go out in the warmth, but they don't stay outside long if it is too hot. I am glad about that. I worry about snakes becoming more of a problem, the warmer it gets. We will be bringing back our portable fencing for the puppies and we hope to get some artificial grass to cover the ground so they can safely be outside without worry of fire ants, snakes and ticks! Rachel thought of another good idea and that was to put the artificial grass in an area in our garage and have a doggie door so they could go in and out to use as a potty, rather than pee pads in the Florida room. Using the Florida room (a screened porch) has its limitations because if it is too hot, we can't leave the dogs closed in that area. If it is too cold or hot, our heat pump must work to cool or heat an area meant to be unheated and unairconditioned.
I am really tickled that Mozart's skin issues have completely resolved here. He is getting thicker hair around his little face and he has no more skin eruptions. Lily is also showing less signs of allergies, with no more skin problems or ear infections. Dear Kipper will celebrate his 7th birthday while we are gone. He is Rachel's favorite, so I know she will treat him extra special on his birthday.
Since I will be caring for 7 lively children and doing all the cooking and cleaning for the family, I don't expect I will have much time to check in here, but I will try. I will try to at least let you know we have arrived safely there and back home again! There is NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!

Reactions: grandmatoall

LynnR

Lynn, Benji, Calleigh, Maggie
Oct 13, 2009
Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
I am also sorry the deal fell through. I hope she finds another one real soon. Have a good and safe trip to the Northwest. If you don't check in we will miss you.:cry:

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I didn't even think of the dogs bringing in ticks to you and Steven. I guess I thought the treatments the babies are getting would keep the silly things off of your babies completely. Just goes to show what I know. I am glad you found them before they all started to feed on you. How did you get the one off that was biting you?

I am sorry Rachel's deal fell through. Maybe there was a reason it did. It will all work out as it was meant to. Continued prayers for Rachel.

I think guinea fowl are cute. Are you thinking of getting some, too? I didn't realize you don't have grass. I can't imagine how you would control fire ants. They are scary to me. I don't like any kind of ants. But I am very excited for Mozart and Lily to get relief from allergies and skin conditions. What a relief for you to not have to treat them both. I know how much you love your babies and want what is best for them.

You will miss your babies and I know they will miss both of you. I am super glad Rachel will be there to take care of them for you. She is such a love. I am praying for safe travels and good weather for your trip. Please check in when you can. Hugs and kisses my dear friend.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
Hey!! My dearest friends, I am on for a very brief time. I will fill you in on our adventure AWAY from our lovely Florida home. The puppies are in good hands with Rachel. I miss them terribly. I didn't realize how emotionally dependent I am with them. It has been awful not to have them with me. Never again!!
The trip from Florida was one miracle after another. We traveled north from Florida, into Georgia and then through Tennessee, where we were met with severe thunderstorms. When we stopped because we couldn't see to drive anymore, it was like crossing a raging river in the restaurant parking lot! After we ate and the storm had abated somewhat, we got back on the road. My special weather alert (all people living in Florida are recommended to have one) warned us that a tornado had been spotted in the area we just left! We spent the first night in Paducah, KY. The next leg took us through sooooo much snow!!! We had snow from before Sioux City, IA, all the way to Issaquah, WA! Again, my weather alert warned that we were heading into a blizzard as we crossed the passes in Wyoming and Montana (if I remember them correctly). I looked at the storm video and could see a blizzard approaching from the north, downward and again from the south upward, with I-90 going right between them! Although there was snow on the road and we did slip a couple of times, the snow was not coming down heavily and we made it all the way to Ellensburg, WA. before we suffered a breakdown in the truck my brother was driving us in. It had gotten stuck in 4-wheel drive. Thankfully, the Dodge dealer in Ellensburg was able to fix it by early the next day and we were only one day late arriving back to Granite Falls where we picked up all the items we left behind.
Steven and I stayed busy for the next three days, packing the items we wanted to bring back to Florida. My brother and his wife got to enjoy our great grandchildren and relax. Do I sound a bit jealous? I guess so. It was so hard to not want to just sit and visit, but this was a working trip, not a social one. We did manage to see all our children and grandchildren for a meal and short visit, even so.
Sunday morning, we left for Estacada, OR where our oldest daughter lives with her family. She welcomed us with a lovely lunch and then my husband drove Rachel's car behind my brother's truck and trailer as they headed back to Florida. What a trip for them!!! I stayed and began my care for the family while our daughter was induced and eventually gave birth to a beautiful 7#3oz baby boy! Her 6th son, and 8th child. She was so exhausted. I was glad I stayed to help. Needless to say, I am EXHAUSTED! The little boys are lively and naughty and oh so loving and sweet! The oldest child is 14 and the youngest is 3. I have a new appreciation for the hard work these parents face each and every day, let me tell you! I would much rather take care of my six puppies on a daily basis. At least they don't tattle and whine and complain about Grandma's cooking! Ha ha!
I will be heading home in our RV on April 3 with the second oldest son (13) and I can't wait. Rachel sends me pictures of my babies and I call and talk to them. Nabi "talks" every time Rachel asks her if she has something to say to me. It is so darling!
Rachel will be moving into her new home (1 1/2 hours away from ours) on her birthday in April, after I get back home. She is excited and it is an even better place for her and cheaper, too! She will have a swimming pool, so I will be purchasing my first bathing suit in over 50 years! She will have lots of mature citrus trees and a lovely garden to enjoy. Her home will be able to accommodate her two pianos and other musical instruments and she is across the road from an elementary school so she can have the chance to get more piano and cello students. Thank you for all your kind responses and I have missed you terribly. I just don't get much time to myself these days, so I may not be back on for awhile unless things calm down here.

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
We missed you too Susan and your Stories. Sounds like quiet the Trip. Glad you guys arrived safely. Congrats on your newest Grandson. Sounds like you going to have your Hands full for sure lol.

• Love

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
You sound terribly exhausted. And yet, very excited. What a trip you have had. I hope you get some rest after you get back home. Wow. Across the United States twice in just a couple of months. And you get to see most of your grandchildren along the way. And a new grandma to boot. Congratulations on the birth of your new grandchild. I am glad mommy and baby are doing well. I am sure all the other children there, are very well taken care of... because you are there to do it... and to help your daughter through everything. What a wonderful person you are.

I am so excited for Rachel, too. She will have a pool and be next to a school where she can fill her classes with all the music students she can handle. They will love her. And you get to enjoy swimming in the pool. Such fun. I can't wait to hear about her new house. It must be a big one if it can handle two pianos and other musical instruments. Good for her. Hug her for me, when you see her.

I will continue to pray for your smooth and safe trip back home.
I am interested in hearing more about the weather watcher program you have. It looks to have saved you from some bad weather conditions along the way. I can understand why people in Florida might have them... but it seems to have worked well across the US, too. Do it cost a lot? It is invaluable for traveling.

Rest while you can. Hugs and much love.