Adventures in Florida!

Discussion in 'YP Yorkie Talk' started by KippersMa, Jan 9, 2019.

1. KippersMa

KippersMa Well-Known Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    The dear puppies are loving it here in Hawthorne, Florida. The weather is almost always sunny, at least part of the day. Recently, we have had temperatures in the mid to upper 70s. It is so pleasant!
    This morning, we decided to take all the puppies on a walk around our neighborhood. It is on all sugar sand roads, so dear little JinJu came home with a face full of sugar sand from the other puppies kicking it up as they pranced along.
    We have lots of dogs in this neighborhood and there is no leash law, so we choose ways where the dogs are nice or kept inside fences or houses. We get out early in the morning when not too many dogs are out anyway. Our neighbors are pretty nice and we have been meeting more and more of them as we walk the roads.
    Rachel and I finally recovered from the flu bug and now Rachel seems to be getting a cold. She went out in a motor boat with her father and my brother and his son and a wave came washing over the top of them, so she got very chilled from the wind and being wet. Not too good when she was still kind of recovering from the flu! I hope she doesn't get too sick.
    The end of the year and the beginning of a New Year are always hectic for me with taxes and inventory, etc. at my work. This year, I don't have to do inventory because I am not there! Yippee! I have already completed all my quarterly reports and taxes, so now I can just enjoy a more normal activity level until the next quarter ends.
    We have so many lovely flowers blooming! Impatiens, azaleas, roses, and camellias. We also have many flowers that I don't even know what they are! They are so gorgeous and we have lots of jasmine covering our archways and along the fence line. It will be gorgeous in the spring! Today, I saw a stinky fungus that looks like a reddish tongue! A landscaper told us about them but I can't remember what he called them. They smell awful. Needless to say, we are making sure the puppies don't get into any fire ant hills or mushrooms, fungus, etc.
    We love it here! I almost dread our trip back west in March, but I will love getting to be with our oldest daughter as she gives birth to her 8th child, a little boy at the end of March. We will stay for a month or more and then head back home to Florida in time for hurricane season and our first HOT summer! I am excited to experience a summer here. The winter has been glorious!

grandmatoall likes this.
  2. LynnR

LynnR Lynn, Benji, Calleigh, Maggie

Poo:
    Poo:
    That is so good to hear that you are enjoying your new home and surroundings, Susan. I am so so, so busy this week I can't come on for long, but just wanted to touch base with you. I am glad your are starting to feel better. I hope Rachel gets over her cold quickly. Is she going to teach in Florida???

grandmatoall likes this.
  3. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    The warmth and humidity should help Rachel recover quickly. She does plan to teach in Florida, but right now, she is preparing for her audition to University of Florida to pursue her Masters in Piano Performance and then hopes to get her DMA at Florida State University in Tallahassee in Pedagogy. Meanwhile, we are loving the opportunity to hear her practice such lovely music!!! Thank you for asking.

LynnR and grandmatoall like this.
  4. grandmatoall

grandmatoall Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.

Poo:
    Poo:
    Wow! It sounds beautiful there. Temps in the 70's would be lovely.. It isn't very bad here. The temps are in the low 40's most of the time. As long as the wind isn't blowing, I don't bother with a coat. It hit 48* today but that was a one day deal. There is a bad storm coming that may have snow. It does have lots of rain.

I survived the flu. It was a very mild case and I was super sick. But, things are looking up. I am sorry you guys had it too. I sure hope Rachel doesn't have a relapse.

I would love to go out on the ocean for a short trip. But I would not like being soaked in sea water. Hug her for me.

I know that your neighbors will love you. You are wonderful people.

LynnR and KippersMa like this.
  5. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    You are so kind, Bobbi, to say that about us. Everyone here has been super friendly and kind. We are amazed at the true "Southern hospitality!" They keep telling us that not everyone is so kind, but we haven't met anyone who has been nasty, yet! Since my husband is a Viet Nam veteran, most places here give us discounts. In Washington, you could forget any benefits. It seems that thankfulness for our military past or present is forgotten in the area we just left. Not that we feel we should be treated in a special way...it is just a nice surprise!
    I have a vet appointment for JinJu and Kipper on Friday. They both had been scheduled for dentals before we left, but we had to leave before they happened. I hope the vet is as good as the one we left. The clinic has excellent reviews.

6. grandmatoall

grandmatoall Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.

Poo:
    Poo:
    Prayers for a great dental for JinJu and Kipper on Friday. I also hope you have found the perfect vet. Discounts for military retirees are always nice. Good for you.

LynnR likes this.
  7. Candy

Candy Owner/Admin Staff Member

Poo:
    Poo:
    Glad you enjoying your new home, sounds so nice. Took Maggie to Vet yesterday to get her adult 3yr Rabbi shot and get caught up on shots. We saw 2 discoloring teeth but not bad enough to clean them yet. Have to take her back to gather 2nd dose as she did'n want her to have full does of meds. She also has to be tested for Heart Worm since she was from Texas as she lived for 3 month without.Heart Worms are not very common here

8. LynnR

LynnR Lynn, Benji, Calleigh, Maggie

Poo:
    Poo:
    Glad she did ok, Candy. There's no Heart Worm here either!

grandmatoall likes this.
  9. KippersMa

Poo:
    Poo:
    We sure I’ve heartworms here! It is required to have heartworm tests every year, so JinJu and Kipper both had that done along with their bloodwork in preparation for their dentals. Kipper also had his rabies and Lepto vaccine and she will do his parvovirus and distemper in three weeks, as she does not like overloading the little guys with so many vaccines at once. I really like her and she spent over an hour with us, making me feel very comfortable. She even made JinJu a rabies tag since in our area, the tags are not recognized as proof of vaccination. I will be taking Mozart and Lily in next, as it is time for Mozart to get his boosters.

grandmatoall likes this.