A visit to the vet!

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
I took in JinJu, Kipper, Lily, Nabi, and Omari for their annual exams. Mozart and Molly came along, but they have both had their exams prior to the rest of them. It was a three hour visit!! They all had to have bloodwork for heartworm testing and I had them all get their Lepto immunizations because we have so much wildlife here. They all did well and none of them have heart worms. Yippee!
Lily has a strange eye situation going on and also swollen toes that she has been fussing with for the past week or so. The vet said to shave the hair and apply antibiotic ointment and see if it will clear up the swelling of her toes. If it doesn't have any effect, she has to have x-rays to rule out bone cancer. She also has antibiotic and steriod ointment for her eyes. She was a very good girl for all the poking and messing with her eyes and toes. She turns 10 years old this year.
Omari tried to bite them when they drew blood and they had to poke him three times! Poor baby. His funny bowl legged walk seems to be his genetic make up and nothing to worry about. He is such a fearful little man. I love him to bits. I hope he can overcome his fear of strange situations. He will turn four years old this year.
JinJu had dirty ears and teeth. She must go for another dental. She also has a milk skin infection and the vet wants to try her on the Ultramino along with Mozart to see if the Malaseb shampoo and special food help her get over her little skin issues. I had to shave the hair in front of her ears so I can try to keep them cleaner. She was a good girl. JinJu will celebrate her 6th birthday this year.
Nabi didn't have luxating patellas after all, but we can't figure out why she cries out and won't walk on one hind leg when she is playing hard once in awhile. The vet said that if she doesn't get over it quickly, we will take x-rays and see what might be going on there. She was a good girl. She is soon to be five years old.
Kipper was my big baby. Just touching him, made him yelp. That is my Kipper. He is so afraid of being hurt. Silly boy. He was in perfect health and only had to have his lepto shot and blood draw for heartworm. He cried every time we touched where he got that shot, but is fine today. He will be 8 years old along with Mozart this year.
Molly behaved normally. Very hyper. Just the same, she did not bark at the other dogs in the room, so I was happy. I just wanted her to be part of the group so she might feel calmer the next time she has to go. The clinic was very impressed with the quiet demeanor of my babies who were being seen. They just laid down in the stroller and waited their turn. It was great for me, because when we got out to the car...….
My husband had not turned off the accessories to the car for the entire two hours he sat out there (one hour was spent walking Molly and Mozart). The battery was dead. So here we were, after three hours of seeing the vet, stuck until my brother could come rescue us. He is an hour away, so the vet let us sit in the air conditioned office while we waited and they fed the puppies cookies and gave them fresh water to drink. We also walked them so they could potty. That is when we noticed blood all over the floor and I was busy wiping it up with a tissue when my husband noticed I had blood on my dress. We checked all the dogs for bleeding, since they had just had blood draws and finally checked little Mozart. There was his toenail, barely hanging on and bleeding profusely. Back into the vet's room we went!! We had loaded everyone in the car by 8:30am and we didn't get home until 6:30pm!! But the car is fine and we are fine and I am glad that day is over.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
You had a rough day. It sounds like the babies did remarkably well, considering everything that happened through the day. Your vet sounds like a very good vet. Praying for Mozart's toe and Lilly's eye.

Reactions: LynnR

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Poor Babies, hope they feel better soon, Apollo had a torn Toenail once and yes it is very painful. Hopefully everyone will be ok very soon !Give them all a Belly rub and puppy kisses.

Reactions: grandmatoall

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
All is well here. Mozart's toe healed quickly and he got to have the huge bandage off last night. He is leaving it alone and doesn't limp. His skin issues remain completely resolved. JinJu was put on the same restricted diet as Mozart and unbelievably, her skin issues cleared right up without any other intervention. I am amazed. Lily's eye infection also cleared up and her toes responded well to the antibiotic cream. She is no longer licking them and they are back to normal size. Whew! I bought a large foldable wagon to haul them all in when we go places where they cannot walk. They love it!! None of them tried to jump out, either. I was worried that Molly might, so I had her leash on, just in case. She never even acted interested in jumping out, so that was great! I still don't think I would trust any of them if we were to come around other dogs or people, so if we are going in public, I will have them all connected to the wagon for safety!

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Thats great Susan that the skin issues are solved. You and the Babies must feel so much better.
Trying to get Maggie used to the Stroller, last time I tried she jumped out and fell on her side so next time I have to zip her in. Have to curtail her walking as we have uneven ground so have to wait till her hind legs have time to heal.
she has to be on Pain/Inflammatory for seven days. She walks now on 4 legs, yay...

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
All is well here. Mozart's toe healed quickly and he got to have the huge bandage off last night. He is leaving it alone and doesn't limp. His skin issues remain completely resolved. JinJu was put on the same restricted diet as Mozart and unbelievably, her skin issues cleared right up without any other intervention. I am amazed. Lily's eye infection also cleared up and her toes responded well to the antibiotic cream. She is no longer licking them and they are back to normal size. Whew! I bought a large foldable wagon to haul them all in when we go places where they cannot walk. They love it!! None of them tried to jump out, either. I was worried that Molly might, so I had her leash on, just in case. She never even acted interested in jumping out, so that was great! I still don't think I would trust any of them if we were to come around other dogs or people, so if we are going in public, I will have them all connected to the wagon for safety!
More good news. That dog food must be super stuff. It cleared up Mozart and JinJu both. Lily is also doing great. I hate health issues with our babies. Molly is a superstar now. Your love and consistency have paid off. I want to see pictures of all of them in the wagon. I'll bet you leave lots of smiles on people who see all of you. Your babies are varied and very beautiful.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
Thats great Susan that the skin issues are solved. You and the Babies must feel so much better.
Trying to get Maggie used to the Stroller, last time I tried she jumped out and fell on her side so next time I have to zip her in. Have to curtail her walking as we have uneven ground so have to wait till her hind legs have time to heal.
she has to be on Pain/Inflammatory for seven days. She walks now on 4 legs, yay...
Sweet Maggie must look so cute riding in her stroller. A real princess. She is doing much better too. Good job.

Candy

Owner/Admin
Staff member
Aug 29, 2008
Washington State
Sweet Maggie must look so cute riding in her stroller. A real princess. She is doing much better too. Good job.
Well she has not rode in the Stroller yet, but when we go for a walk in it I will sure to take a pic. I put my oxygen in there but haven't walked in 5 weeks as I had Bronchitis . Finally getting over it. But who wants to walk when its s rainy...and Susan I don't want to hear about your nice Weather...:roflma:

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
I always feel so much better when the sun is shinning! :fan2: I love the sun. A little rain now and then is ok... as long as the sun shines more. LOL I am getting spoiled in my older age. :agree:

LynnR

Lynn, Benji, Calleigh, Maggie, Shayleigh
Oct 13, 2009
Cranbrook, B.C. Canada
Yesterday almost felt like Spring! The sun was out all day and I turned the heat off in my house. When the dogs were settled in my office I actually opened my back door. What a beautiful, beautiful day! I even took Benji for a walk.

grandmatoall

Bobbi, Sandy and Roxy.
Aug 30, 2008
Idaho
The wind makes it colder. It cuts through to your bones.

Susan, What kind of temps are you having in Florida? I'll bet all your babies are loving the warmer temps since you have relocated.

KippersMa

Jul 25, 2017
Hawthorne, Florida
JinJu had her dental yesterday morning. She did fine, but lost three more teeth! I told the vet that it won't be long before they are all gone. You would never know she had them pulled. She is as feisty as ever and eats like a champ!
I was back at the vet this afternoon with a kitten someone dumped by our mailbox. She is a pretty calico that I named Neveah, Heaven spelled backwards because I believe she was sent from Heaven. The vet told me that he feels she was sent by God and so blessed because she is blind!! He thinks she also had some head trauma as her eyes dart to and fro. She was healthy (although very, very hungry and had tape worm and hook worm which we also treated) and I had her get all her immunizations and tomorrow she will be spayed because although she is very tiny, the vet says she is about 9 months old! I am so disgusted with the way so many people treat their animals here in Florida! Lots of neglect. My husband says we cannot keep Neveah, but I am working on him.....after all, what is JUST ONE MORE BABY in the house! Ha ha! Meanwhile, the puppies all love her and since she cannot see them, she is perfectly calm around them. She has a lovely and loud purr, which I love.